Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi All,

Part 2 of the Webinar Series is this upcoming Tuesday. Thanks again to Bob, Don, American Forests, and Laser Technology, Inc. for making this happen.

I think that circumference can be either the easiest or the most difficult measurement to get right, depending on the variables that the tree presents. I'm looking forward to Don's presentation and I imagine there will be many interesting questions from the audience, just like there was for the crown spread webinar.

During the crown spread webinar, the LTI moderator mentioned that each of the three webinars will have two winners for the Trupulse 360, for a total of six winners.

There is no cost to attend and each webinar qualifies as 1.0 hour Cat. 1-CF credit.

Registration: https://lasertechevents.webex.com/mw0401l/mywebex/default.do?nomenu=true&siteurl=lasertechevents&service=6&rnd=0.5576986395323201&main_url=https%3A%2F%2Flasertechevents.webex.com%2Fec0701l%2Feventcenter%2Fevent%2FeventAction.do%3FtheAction%3Ddetail%26confViewID%3D1005296428%26%26%26%26siteurl%3Dlasertechevents

AF article: http://www.americanforests.org/bigtrees/forestry-measurement-tools/measurement-tools-techniques-webinar-series/

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1058 times
Has Been Liked: 807 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby dbhguru » Sat May 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Matt,

Thanks for reminding everyone. Don is presently hard at work polishing his presentation.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1035 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Don, Bob,

Another fine presentation. My favorite parts were the refined definition of a tree and Don's description of the cross-section photo that indicated 3 piths.

Looking forward to the grand finale next week!
Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby dbhguru » Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am

Matt,

Thanks. I'm refining Webinar #3 as I write this. It will be the most mathematically intense of the webinars. That is not necessarily good. So, clarity is critical.

I plan to cover three ways to do the stick method (similar triangles), an in-depth look at the tangent method and its pitfalls, the sine method, the combination of sine and tangent, two versions of the External baseline method, and methods for estimating the impact of a combination of distance and angle errors on both sine and tangent calculations.

So far the reception to the webinars has been very positive. Hopefully, the third won't go astray. The challenge is to decode the mathematics without losing the insights that come from understanding the underlying mathematica models. Getting good at height is not just a matter of religiously following measuring protocols, but understanding the mathematical assumptions behind a technique or use of an instrument such as a hypsometer.

Matt, if you get a chance to try out that Excel workbook I posted a coupe days ago on the External Baseline Method for Crown Spread, I'd greatly appreciate it. If NTS is going to serve as a source of highly skilled measurers for American Forests, we have to go through the pain of having everyone up to speed on the methods that will be in the user handbook. Don and I will offer a number of Excel workbooks to automate the more complex measuring processes. I can't think of a better group to test them than members of NTS.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Matt Markworth
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1035 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby Matt Markworth » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Circumference Webinar - Tuesday, May 27th, 12pm EDT

Postby Matt Markworth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 pm

All,

A replay of this webinar is also on the American Forests Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Rw7Fe1IrY

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry