Latest on America Forests Work Group

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Latest on America Forests Work Group

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Folks,

It is time for a quick update on the progress of the American Forests Measuring Guidelines Work Group (AFMGWG). In a nutshell, everything is going very well. I continue to be impressed with the determination of Sheri Shannon, present champion tree program coordinator, to see the effort to improve the National Register completed. When she leaves at the end of May, AF will have lost a tremendously valuable resource. Don and I are hoping her replacement will pick up where she leaves off and we'll see the mission continue without any setbacks.

Don and I are:

(1) Working on consolidating the guidelines into a handbook format that will be 60 to 80 pages long. There will be the handbook, and eventually a field guide.

(2) Polishing our Webinar presentations, scheduled for May 20, 27, and June 3. The Webinars represent a partnership between AF and LTI with Don and I actually presenting the sessions. They will earn CFE credits from the Society of American Foresters for those eligible.

(3) Still working on issues relating to girth. We're thinking about an article on girth, or circumference as it will likely be called to stay with past convention. I've attached a beginning draft. The final will include diagrams, photos, and formulas. However, nothing is set at this stage. We would greatly appreciate any comment/suggestions any one would care to make. But as a comment which may not please everyone, for the present, AF will retain multi-stem and single-stem trees in the same register. The multi-stems will be identified as such, but not put in a separate listing. One step at a time.

(4) Continuing to explore alternative formulas for computing big tree points. This effort will likely continue for months.

(5) Continuing to think about the National Cadre concept. I think AF is growing steadily more comfortable with this idea. Its success will heavily depend on NTS participation, the details of which will be discussed in the future.

Bob
Attachments
DRB Circumference edit.doc
(99 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

tsharp

Re: Latest on America Forests Work Group

Post by tsharp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Bob: I think it is commendable that AF is going to identify Multistem trees as such. I assume it is a result of some gentle prodding from you and Don. Congratulations!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Turner

This was definitely Don's idea. He's been promoting it for a long time. Of course, I fully support it, but the exciting part is that AF is listening. Do you have any thoughts about the method of computing circumference for the multi-stems that we'll advocating?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 am

Bob- Well you and Don are making great progress with AF. Live Oak may be the exception on multi trunk specimens. I have seen them form two trunks from one acorn that I grew. They also can develop more trunks as they grow the two can form three, four or even five main limbs off two or three trunks. As these forms grow with age they fuse giving the impression of several fused trees. However they also do grow as three, four, five or more fused separate trees. I have measured several in all of these forms, Single Trunk, Multi-Trunk, Fused Trunk and Coppice. Lately I have been starting to rethink on how to measure the flared trees I encounter in the Forest. I agree with Bart’s method of measurement above the Basal Flare to get a more true measurement of the trees trunk. I also like the idea of measuring the multi-trunk trees at each trunk but I think they should not only be recognized but made into a separate listing. Only when the species is contending for Champion status perhaps? You and Don have done much and it is appreciated. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 am

Larry,

Very important observations about live oaks. I wonder what Don's comments will be? Do we have a few species that really need to be treated differently in competitions?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Folks

It looks like American Forests will dethrone the Ohio Sycamore champion tree cluster. This is good news and a testament to our progress in improving the National Register.

Don and I continue to work on the AF measuring guidelines and are now looking to strengthen the part devoted to pith analysis. We need photographs of stumps close to the ground that reveals pith lines and illustrate the actual structures of fused forms. Any images that members can provide will be greatly appreciated. Don may have more to say on this.

Today we tested our webinar connections, being managed by LTI, in preparation for our three upcoming webinars. All went well. May 20 will be devoted to crown spread, May 27th to girth, and June 3rd to height. Each session will be an hour.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:51 pm

That is great news. If they are going to start somewhere, they may as well start with perhaps the best example. Hopefully the Bald Cypress will be next. Its almost as bad.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:52 pm

John,

We're working on it. There will probably have to be a culture change to get all of what we want implemented, but American Forests is solidly behind the project. But to get the points across, we're going to need lots of examples that illustrate the problems. Photos are needed showing the cross-sections of trees cut near ground level to reveal the pith patterns. There is still a lot of debate about what constitutes a single tree versus multiple trees pressed together forming what could be confusion about what constitutes a separate trunk.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Don

Post by Don » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 pm

John/Larry/Turner-
Glad to have your interest and kudos! This has been an almost year-long full-court press...it's good to see progress!

Arborists/Foresters-
We have a mission critical need for photographs (digital preferably) that show the cross-section (ie, pith with concentric annual ring sets) of multi-stem/multi-trunk/multi-tree trees AT GROUND LINE.

These can be of any dimension, and hopefully obtained from examples already selected for felling/removal.
Ideally, we'd like these before the first Webinar (May 20th), but would welcome them for the Fall Guideline/Field Guide publications. Credit for photographs will be given.

Thanks!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:15 am

I was actually thinking about this the other day when I was driving along through an area I don't normally traverse. I came upon a 24' CBH silver maple, an obvious multistem with visible piths but no separations or gaps below 6 feet. My first thought was, "wow", followed by, "bummer". Then I thought about what the average novice or nature lover would think if they came upon this tree in a forest or field. It was still a tree to get excited about.
One of the greatest moments in my big tree life was a few weeks ago when I was in the "Grove of the Titans" and for me the highlight of that was seeing the "Screaming Titans". In the book The Wild Trees, Preston writes about Michael Taylors reaction to this/these fused redwoods when he discovered them and how impressive this wall of wood was. In fact its still the most photographed tree in the grove.
Anyway, to make a long point short. Champion worthy? Definitely not. List worthy? Certainly. Thank you for all the work both of you are doing.
Attachments
Screaming Titans April 2014
Screaming Titans April 2014
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”