Update on American Forests MGWG and More

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Update on American Forests MGWG and More

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Folks,

We're continuing to move forward in the American Forests Measuring Guidelines Work Group. AF has decided to combine the three sets of guidelines that we've come up with so far into a single handbook of 60 - 80 pages. My task is to now shrink what Don and I have done to fit that requirement. It will take a couple or three weeks, but then the draft will truly be finished.

Yesterday we got word from Sheri Shannon, the AF Big Tree Coordinator that our three webinars will carry CFE points authorized the the Society of American Foresters (SAF). The first webinar will be on height and be presented by yours truly on May 20. The second will be on May 27th covering crown-spread, also presented by yours truly. Don will present the one on girth on June 3rd. Each webinar will be 1 hour in duration. The webinars will be supported by Laser Technology Inc . So we really do have a partnership between American Forests, Laser Technology Inc., and the Native Tree Society. But it goes farther. Don Bertolette and I will be writing an essay for Dr. Don Bragg who is, of course, the editor of the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society. But Don is also the editor of SAF's prestigious Journal of Forestry as well as a research forester for the USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station in Arkansas. These connections give NTS real standing. It is not just us patting ourselves on the back and existing in our own world. We really do have an outreach. There are other connections that I could point to such as our partnership roles with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Congaree National Park, Cook Forest State Park, Mohawk Trail State Forest, etc. And then there is our role in conferences on old growth forest. I've attached the latest version of the agenda for Aug 4-6 in Durango, CO. There's plenty of room. We hope more of you will join us out there. It's going to be a hoot.

Bob
Attachments
ScheduleSWOldGrowthConferenceApr13.docx
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Update on American Forests MGWG and More

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 am

Bob- You and Don have made AF take a good look at the way they figure their listing, thanks for all you guys have done. I hope they note on the listing Multi-Trunk or Single specimen. But if not oh well! I will! Can't wait to the Durango event you have so many heavyweights coming. I look forward to being out west with you and everyone. Climbing Mountains and finding new tree records is awesome! I can't think of a better way to spend a week in beautiful Colorado. BTW I just bought a used TruPulse 360 from Laser Tech and received it on Friday. I love the missing line function great for my Live Oak Crown Spread measurements! Will be fun to have at Durango to! Larry

dbhguru

Re: Update on American Forests MGWG and More

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Larry,

Thanks for the accolades. Getting the changes we hope to make accepted across the board is no small task. There are lots of vested interests out there, but the time will come when individual Ents such as yourself may play a big, if not crucial role in certifications and re-certifications.

In a few days I'll begin consolidating the three sets of guidelines into a single document, aimed at around 70 pages. When it is done, I hope Don and I can call upon our fellow and lady Ents to test the guidelines and see how easily they are to follow. If we can get the AF guidelines streamlined, but complete, championship tree measuring will enter a new golden age (so sayeth I).

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”