Recommendations for range finder with an inclinometer

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jasonbaker

Recommendations for range finder with an inclinometer

Post by jasonbaker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a range finder that has a built in iclinometer also? I saw this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8381-Laser- ... B005OLOWKO

It looks good, but it may be too much for what I want to do. I'd also prefer something simpler with less stuff to potentially break. If I can look in the viewfinder and see feet/yardage/meters and the angle, I'd be happy.

Thanks!

Will Blozan

Re: Recommendations for range finder with an inclinometer

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Jason,

Please review the massive amounts of laser reviews and tests on this BBS site. Long story short- there is not a good one yet that we have found with respect to clutter penetration ,mainly. The new TruPulse 200X is showing promise but it is pricey...

Will

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks Will! I'll check into that and I'll read some older posts to see what looks good.

From most of my Googling, most of the range finders I saw were for hunting and archery. That Nikon was the only one that I saw that looked like it might be targeted at tree folk and I didn't see much on here about it.

It looks like I'm going to have start rolling pennies :D

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Jason,

I'm not real familiar with the Nikon Forestry models. My first setup was the Nikon 440 along with the Suunto PM-5/360PC. Even though now I have a Trupulse 200, I still routinely use the Nikon 440 for clutter penetration. I should probably pick up a second Nikon 440 since they're no longer being made.

Matt

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 pm

I use the nikon 550 forestry and it works decently well, but the Nikon 440 is decisively better at penetrating clutter. Steve Galehouse, and I shot the same tree with both lasers, and he often came up with taller heights simply because the 440 could penetrate up to a yard deeper into the clutter of twigs at the top of a tree.

On the plus side, in reasonably open conditions it is very convenient that the 550 does all the math for you, and comes up with a total tree height in two clicks.

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Matt, Rand, thanks for sharing! I appreciate the information. The calculation features do sound nice the more I think about it. It would require less fumbling with my phone.

I looked up the Trupulse, and that might be a little rich for my blood at the moment :) Precision instruments don't come cheaply, so I understand.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Jason-

I would still recommend the 'cheap and cheerful' approach and get a used Nikon 440, which has a more precise cone of vision, and either a Brunton/Suunto clinometer or a clino app for the I-phone. The advantage of having a mechanical clino is that it can be mounted together in the laser in the same sight plane, reducing errors in dropping one instrument to refocus the other.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”