White Oak. Double or Single?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

fungi

White Oak. Double or Single?

Post by fungi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Hello!

Was wondering if I could get some feedback on this white oak trunk. The question is, double or single? 16'1" CBH, 92.25' Average Crown Spread (2 measurements averaged), waiting on the go ahead for a tape drop (from property manager). And/or my clinometer.

T.C.
Attachments
029.jpg
030.jpg

Will Blozan

Re: White Oak. Double or Single?

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 pm

T.C.,

I'd go with a twin fusion.

Will

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:54 pm

T. C.
Looks like a double.
TS

fungi

Post by fungi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:51 pm

This tree is on our county's big tree list (pabigtrees.com). It's a white oak.
In 2008 it was measured as such:
cbh 185
height 99
spread(max) 97

I measured it today and found:
cbh 193
spread(max) 99.5
Still have to climb for tape drop. I have a feeling that the height wasn't right in the last measurement but I don't want to make any conclusions. Actually, I'll make one: the tree is growing! And that's super cool to see.

T.C.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 pm

T.C.

I'd also go with the fusion of two trunks. This is a form I commonly see with oaks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

T.C.,

I know the feeling! I got a tip on a big Sycamore and stopped today to take a look. Still an awesome tree, but unfortunately my estimation is that it has 2 piths at ground level, therefore making it a multi-trunk tree.

I wish I had something in the photo for scale. The CBH is 25ft.
sycamore.JPG
- Matt

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:20 am

this has probably already been suggested and I didn't notice- but how about a whole new set of numbers for large multi trunk trees? I think they're pretty neat and should be given some respect! I get the sense that people are dissapointed with multi trunk trees.
Joe

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Joe,

I don't think anyone has expressed a dislike of multi-stemmed trees here. It is when they are on the same list as single trunks and secure a champion status by being fat- that is when they (rather, their inclusion) are frowned upon. They have every right to be appreciated as their own form. How? not sure.

Will

fungi

Post by fungi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Will,

That's where crown mapping will have it's place as well someday. How cool would it be if you had to submit a official crown map for a champion to be considered. I know, I know, that's crazy right? But, there's so much character you don't see in the circumference, crown spread and height. I understand that it's a numeric system and it needs to be somewhat limited, but I think with a crown map you avoid the hindering qualities such as single stem versus multi-stem. Things like crown maps aren't misleading. It's the true unique qualities of that tree and that tree only. Just ranting here.

T.C.

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”