Volunteers needed for big tree certification

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Volunteers needed for big tree certification

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am

Hi Everybody,

The proceedings of the American Forests Measuring Guidelines Work Group are moving along. Don and I are not lacking for challenges, but so far everything appears to be on track. The primary ideas being pushed is the concept of Tree-Aj, measuring guidelines that support Tree-Aj, a cadre of super measures that can be called upon as needed, and a measuring certification program. Don, have I missed anything?

We are currently working on Don's idea of establishing a cadre of highly qualified measurers who can be called upon by the AF coordinator to measure trees for American Forests National Register. Cadre members would undergo certification by some process not yet established. Obviously, Don and I see NTS as a primary source for cadre members. However, we need to determine actual interest. We don't want to throw a party where nobody shows up. So, we would greatly appreciate all of you who are interested in being a member of the cadre of AF super measurers to let us know. Hopefully, at some future point, American Forests would be able to defray traveling expenses for cadre members, but that cannot be counted on. It has to be seen as a labor of love, but then I think that is what NTS is all about.

Current members I am hoping would be interested (some definitely are) include the following:

Will Blozan (confirmed)
Bob Leverett (confirmed)
Don Bertolette (confirmed)
Dale Luthringer
Turner Sharp
Eli Dickerson
Don Bragg
Ed Frank
John Eichholz
Jess Riddle
Zane Moore
Mario Vaden
Carl harting
Michael Taylor
Larry Tucei Jr.
Eli Dickerson
Matt Markworth
Brian Beduhn
Carl Harting
Michael Davie
Gary Beluzo
George Fieo
Andrew Joslin
Doug Bidlack
Steve Galehouse
Rand Brown
Mark Rouw
Tom Howard
James Parton

There are others. If your name is not on the above list, it isn't because we don't think you would be interested or qualified with training. The individuals above have a track record with respect to measuring and submitting posts on results.

Qualified people who have dropped out of sight include Darian Copiz from Maryland, Tom Diggins from Ohio, and Scott Wade from PA. In Scott's case, he is the PA big tree coordinator, so he'd likely be involved. We'd like to have all once standout performers back, but of course, we don't know their work schedules or personal situations.

Darn, I wish Kouta Rasanen, Jeroen Philiponea, Michael Spraggon, and Karlheinz were living on this side of the pond.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: Volunteers needed for big tree certification

Post by Don » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Bob-
Just a quick reply...the array of measurement-challenging big trees out there requires an incredibly wide array of tools, methods, and skills. Few of us singly meet this breadth of need. I'm thinking that it would be wise to consider a broader pool...I'm thinking for instance of tree-climbers, who are probably our most empirically accurate tree height measurers, but may lack some of the other skills. They would make excellent candidates for training for "The Cadre".
Those with demonstrated problem-solving skills should consider 'candidacy'.
Those fluent in trig and algebra also have a leg up and could consider 'candidacy'.
Just saying...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Don,

Certainly. I didn't mean to imply that NTS would be the only source of candidates for the cadre, but I didn't make that clear in my post. But I do hope we'll get plenty of takers from NTS.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 am

NTS,

Hey folks. Anyone willing to officially go on record as volunteering to be an American Forests big tree super cadre certifier? The certification program is conceptual now, but it will very likely become a reality. I hope NTS will stand firmly behind it.

Not to spend too much time on the soapbox, but this is the real deal. For decades, American Forests accepted pretty much whatever nominators submitted. The National Register was just a list. Then came the era of certifications, but certifications by unqualified certifiers. That situation was not clear to AF then, and regardless, the AF coordinator was not in a position to pass judgement on the qualifications of the state-level certifiers. Understandably, AF coordinators were reluctant to challenge submissions especially when the certifications were from state officials. That was then.Then along came NTS. I'd like to think that we pointed the way. Regardless, the current AF coordinator is all business. She means to make the National Register the envy of the tree-measuring world. She is a person with a vision and is a skilled communicator. And what is so important, when it comes to understanding what has been substandard performance with respect to the National Register and the causes, she gets it.

Back in 1996 when we established the Eastern Native Tree Society, we embraced all the goals in our mission statement. However, our actual focus was predominately tree measuring, and remained so until recently. While we were pushing the envelope in terms of measuring, there was never a collective desire to compete with state champion tree programs or the National Register. I personally discouraged that. I saw us as functioning as a behind the scenes power to help settle measuring disputes, train, innovate, etc. Alas, we weren't swamped with takers from either the state programs or the national one and trees continued to be mis-measured in those programs with no clear recognition that that was happening by the coordinators, often administrative people with no background in measuring. Meanwhile we in NTS continued to innovate. Will developed the idea of the TDI as an alternative to the regular big tree formula. We developed Rucker analysis and new methods of height, diameter (reticle), and crown spread measuring.

Courtesy of AF's coordinator, the focus of that venerable organization is improving the quality of measurements, the sophistication and efficacy of the measuring processes, and how to treat multi-stemmed trees. The AF MGWG is submerged in those issues. Don's innovative Tree-Aj addresses the first two. Tree-Aj has a lot of traction. However, the multi-stem issue is a long way from being resolved. I know what others of you think about the comparison process, e.g. Will and Ed on single versus multi-stemmed trees, but how it will play out remains to be seen. The single versus multi-stem issue is simply much more subjective.

So with all the above hype for your truly, who is willing to step up to the plate?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 am

Bob,

Of course I am at the plate ready to swing! This day has been a long time coming and I agree- now is the time to show our support and make an impact.

Let's go NTS!

Will

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Bob,
I know I've only been on the boards for about a year now and am not on the list above but I do have the equipment necessary ( Nikon 440, Suunto clinometer, 100ft tape ect). I've been searching out and measuring some of the biggest in the north east for about a decade now. I know how to measure CBH on a slope, and how to calculate the points a given tree should have. Recently I've been practicing on a daily basis with height measurements on various trees with the techniques Ed and Will have been kind enough to publish. Id be willing to receive any additional training from anyone passing through or a local NTS member such as Scott Wade or Dale Luthringer. I have two days off every week and I'm willing to travel. Id love to contribute.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:52 am

Bob,

like Will and John, I am willing to help out especially in New England and Michigan.

Doug

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:02 am

Doug,

That's great- as we know so well Michigan needs some serious help!

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 am

Bob,

If there's an opportunity to measure Champion trees, then I'm definitely interested. I've included a map to give a general idea of what I would be able to cover and anticipated timeframes.

Area in Circle: Can measure within a few weeks notice

Area in Rectangle: Can measure within 3 - 5 months notice
matt - map.PNG
matt - map.PNG (7.8 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
- Matt

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 am

Bob: Count me in for West Virginia and Southeastern Ohio.
TS

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”