Looking at a strange oak with an objective in mind

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Re: Looking at a strange oak with an objective in mind

Post by tsharp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:06 pm

NTS:
Bob wrote "Would anybody really advocate measuring this as a single tree?
Apparently the aptly named (by will Blozan) "Connecticut multi-stemmed tree dream team" would not have any problem measuring this as a single tree.
TS

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Turner,

That's pretty funny, but also quite true. If we shine enough spotlights on such foolish entries without getting into who measured what, I think we will win.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Bob and all, yesterday while looking for a geocache, which I found in a interesting white pine in Enfield, Ct, I was going to take some pictures of it but forgot to bring my camera. I went back today to measure it and take pictures. With my wife holding a bright light I went out 100 yards or so and found a narrow corridor through the under brush where I could see her and the tree top. Unless a small branch got in the way I got it at 85 feet or so high @14' 6" cbh. There was a white pine near the pond shore that I measured at 94 feet high. Back to the first tree, there are 4 trunks that starts to split just at 4.5 feet. One trunk is dead and with a few more storms it my become 3 trunks. I took pictures from all 4 sides. As I was driving to Enfield I remembered seeing a 4 trunk oak behind a cemetery in Suffield that grows out of one,(?) base. I just got a new computer so I hope I can send the pictures. You can tell but the first 3 pictures are the oak. Sam Goodwin
Attachments
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Sam,

Thanks. The 4-trunk oak(s) points to the big issue. Those who want to measure the four touching trunks as one versus those who do not highlight the debate - well, one of the debates.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi All,

Here's an 18.66' girth (at 2.5', below the cut branch) Ginkgo biloba at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. It's not a Champion, but it is an impressive specimen.

Based on seeing this tree in person, I think that it is multi-trunked. The first photo shows evidence of 2 piths at ground level. However, if I had only been presented with the second photo, then I probably wouldn't question the tree if I saw it on a Champion list. As others have said before, Champion trees should be presented with photos from various angles.
DSCN1164-2.jpg
DSCN1167-1.jpg
- Matt
Last edited by Matt Markworth on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:08 am

About the oak, total cbh @ 4.5' was 18' 4" and 104' high. Each trunk was, 7' 11", 6' 11", 6' and 5' 4". Sam

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

dbhguru wrote:Sam,

Thanks. The 4-trunk oak(s) points to the big issue. Those who want to measure the four touching trunks as one versus those who do not highlight the debate - well, one of the debates.

Bob
How about having a seperate listing of multiple stem trees? After all, they're neat too.
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 am

Joe wrote:How about having a separate listing of multiple stem trees? After all, they're neat too.
Joe
That is the approach I support.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”