Trees database- use it

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Re: Trees database- use it

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Patrick-

Yes, can be entered one-at-a-time; just register(free), go to 'import'. No guide, just follow the prompts. Some areas of information are required, noted by red asterisks next to text boxes.
every plant is native somewhere

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm

NTS,

I spent some time today entering new measurements, editing one or two old ones, and just generally browsing the database. The amount of information available to us pretty much instantly is very cool. Although many, many trees haven't been listed yet, any interested person can get an increasingly accurate picture of maximum tree dimensions in many locations using the search and ranking functions. As of now we've compiled a listing of 272 species, including hybrids, and 255 locations (plus many single sites in combined listings). This is a good start; obviously, the more (accurate) entries we have, the more useful the database tool becomes. I see lots of potential for this, and am thankful to be able to participate in it. Good night, all.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:25 am

NTS,

Mitch Galehouse is preparing an Excel workbook import vehicle for the database. I've been working with him on it, and I believe that it is going to be an excellent way to input our data. We will also be able to use the vehicle to maintain our data externally so that each measurer has his/her own database as a backup. Theoretically, the entire database could be reconstructed, if we all agree to use the Excel import vehicle. More details are forthcoming, but I think this is going to be a solution that will work across the board - soup to nuts.

Many of us use spreadsheet layouts for a variety of purposes. They serve us well, but Excel has its limitations, especially when you want to do analysis or construct queries and just get straightforward reports from those queries. The ideal is to have it both ways, i.e. enjoy the convenience of the spreadsheet layout and the full power of the database. Folks, thanks to Mitch, I think we're going to be able to have our cake and eat it too, as the saying goes.

The Excel interface will allow us to enter, maintain, and access our data along the lines most natural to those of us who maintain site-based information. We usually do not approach measuring via the concept of independent trips, but rather repeated visits to sites. We add, delete, edit to the site-based information. We have less need of organizing our information around trips. More on this to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:14 am

Bob,

This is great news. You've stressed the necessity and potential utility of being able to import Excel workbooks into the database, so I'm glad that Mr. Galehouse is working on that. Having a central, often-updated, accurate, and user-friendly database is critical to NTS work and long-term goals. Very exciting.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Bob,

This is exciting news. This could be the dawn of a new era for NTS. There will be a few minor issues to deal with before our mountain of data starts revealing its secrets, but direct import to the database is the last major hurdle.

Jess

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”