Trees database- use it

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Trees database- use it

Post by tsharp » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:45 am

NTS:
I recently posted five trip reports on the NTS BBS board. Prior to that I entered the trees measured at those five sites on the Trees database. I notice no one has been using that site recently. That is a shame. It is a nice tool that could give a lot of meaning to what the NTS obsessive tree measurers do.
I probably entered about 200 trees plus basic information about the five sites and it only took about 3-4 hours including reviewing what was entered and correcting mistakes.
There are a couple of features of the Trees database that make entering data less time consuming
When entering species names (I enter scientific names first) and after the first two or three letters are typed into the system tries to identify what your intentions are. For instance when entering Tuliptree I just have to type three letters (Lir) in the scientific name box and the system automatically completes the scientific name plus automatically fills out the common name box. Another potential time saver occurs once the GPS coordinates of a site is entered. For individual trees one can just copy the initial GPS reading for the site and change at most the last two or three digits for each coordinate of the individual tree readings.
The system calculates Rucker Indices for height, girth, and spread for 5, 10, and 20 species. It automatically ranks each species in alphabetical order but with click of a button will rank species or sites in descending or ascending order by height, girth or spread. Once enough data has been entered it is easy and fun to compare species, states and individual sites for the three attributes measured.
The system is pretty flexible and I also use it to maintain a municipal and state maximum dimension list.
I am sure that Steve or Mitch Galehouse will answer any questions of how to get started or any problems that arise.

http://www.treesdb.org/

Larry Tucei

Re: Trees database- use it

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

Turner I tried to use the database site several times and could not. I would enter data if I could get to it. Ed- Can you help make a link to the Database site. Thanks Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am

I had problems with access in the past as well. I just used it and it worked for me. I'll continue to update it with new stuff and fill it in with past reports as well. It's actually quite easy to use.
Brian

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

treesdatabase.JPG
treesdatabase.JPG (12.13 KiB) Viewed 14694 times
[/url]

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Turner, NTS,

I heartily agree on the usefulness of the trees database. I view it regularly and enter pretty much every tree I measure. I believe that I've written this before, but much thanks goes to the efforts of the Galehouses. You've done a great job. For my part, I've not had any problems with the site, logging on to it or otherwise.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

NTS,

While I've made some use of the database in the past, when I return to MA, I plan to enter new important trees. I have far to many trees in old databases to enter. I'm talking thousands. However, I plan to use the database for later measurements of significant trees.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm

NTS--

My son Mitch, a software designer, not a tree geek like me, designed and built this site taking into consideration the requests of some of the long-time ENTS members. It's free to use if you want, it calculates much of the data entered, but it does require some time/effort to input data(as any database would). The site is free to users(on a server in my cellar, so some service outages are to be expected), and I encourage NTS members to post their finds to the database.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi All,

I recently set about entering some trees into my own personal spreadsheet, which can be a bit time consuming. I usually get behind and end up with several pages of notes, as I'd rather be out enjoying nature than typing trees into a spreadsheet.

It occurred to me that I should just enter them into the Trees database and then export the spreadsheet to my computer, in effect killing two birds with one stone. Entering them into the Trees database took less time and now I have the information archived in two places, instead of one. Using the map for lat/long was very helpful, and I really like the fact that the specific lat/long isn't required for each tree (I'm not always against listing specific lat/long for a tree, but I like having the choice).

Matt

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 am

I need a Phone app to make this a productive feature for me. Since my phone I can easily record, coordinates, photos, dimensions, and all other info about the trees.

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Steve,

I have some trees in Central NC I'd like to add. Can that be done 1 at a time or only via upload of a spreadsheet? Is there a how to guide for uploads anywhere?

Thanks,
Patrick

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”