New 108.5 meter redwood in HRSP

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Montague

New 108.5 meter redwood in HRSP

Post by John Montague » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

I recently discovered a new tall redwood in HRSP, which I have named "Eclipse". I performed a tripod survey with an Impulse 200LR and prism pole. The survey revealed this tree to be 355.98 feet or 108.5 meters. The tree is located in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, and it was mysteriously absent from LIDAR's hit list. Note the attached picture. Eclipse has the unique feature of a neighboring trunk that leans into Eclipse and then wraps itself around the upper trunk.

Michael Taylor is credited as co-discoverer of this tree. While he was not present for locating and measuring the tree, it was Michael's LIDAR research that directed me to this particular patch of forest in HRSP.
Eclipse 4.jpg

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: New 108.5 meter redwood in HRSP

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 pm

John Montague wrote:I recently discovered a new tall redwood in HRSP, which I have named "Eclipse". I performed a tripod survey with an Impulse 200LR and prism pole. The survey revealed this tree to be 355.98 feet or 108.5 meters. The tree is located in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, and it was mysteriously absent from LIDAR's hit list. Note the attached picture. Eclipse has the unique feature of a neighboring trunk that leans into Eclipse and then wraps itself around the upper trunk.

Michael Taylor is credited as co-discoverer of this tree. While he was not present for locating and measuring the tree, it was Michael's LIDAR research that directed me to this particular patch of forest in HRSP.

John, you are the Tree Detective. Thanks for finding this unknown 350' class redwood and measuring it accurately with the Impulse200. Your height figure is consistent with the LiDAR return + a few years of growth. I need to update my tall trees list with Eclipse included. Amazing this tree was not noticed before.

Michael Taylor

lalacurf121

Re: New 108.5 meter redwood in HRSP

Post by lalacurf121 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:10 am

Amazing this tree was not noticed before.
sbo222

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”