Testing TruPulse 200 X

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Karlheinz

Re: Testing TruPulse 200 X

Post by Karlheinz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Well, Bob, you've had any luck?

Karl

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Karl

Still don't have a 200X. Should get one by Dec 14.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 am

When reading the English manual of TP200X, I recognized the Height Routine is still badly described. Three-point measurement method is still the main. Two-point measurement is recommended only if top is not above base. There is no indication to significantly higher accuracy of the two-point measurement and no general recommendation to favor this method if possible.
I contacted the German distributor F.W. Breithaupt & Sohn, who is currently working on the German version of the manual. I was able to convince him. The German manual will be better!

Karl
Attachments
40-2-Step-Height-Routine.jpg
37-Height-Routine.jpg

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

Karl,

I think what we have is a difference of opinion between the marketing side of the house and the rest of LTI. I expect that LTI is bowing to the marketing folks who in turn are keeping close contact with the different factions that use the TruPulse line. Timber industry users are carrying on their tradition of measuring tree height by setting a baseline to the trunk and taking angles to the crown and base, irrespective of the shape of the tree. That method remains entrenched in the timber world, for several reasons. Moving to the more applicable measurement model is going to require more time. However, there will always the the leaders in change. I congratulate you in persuading the those publishing the German version of the instructions to explain the process through a more modern perspective.

I can't wait to get m TruPulse 200X. It will receive a lot of field testing, and I'll report all the results as I compile them.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 am

Bob,

I agree with your assessment why the manual on this point is so bad. Foresters and timber people will disgrace themselves with inaccurate measurements in future, too.

I got my TP200X yesterday. My first impression on first practical measurement tests:
Eliminating unwanted reflections in the entire area in front of the target really works! And indeed it works convincingly good, as well as system setting to Farthest Mode or to Gate Mode with a gate value.
Compared with Nikon550 measuring in the woods is a cinch, I'm thrilled!

Bob, I hope yours will arrive soon, I am waiting for your field testings!

Karl

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Karl,

Congratulations. Ooh, I'm green with envy, but still look forward to getting mine soon. I'm so relieved that the gate function works well. I was afraid that it would not deliver, but with that fear set aside, there is a lot of tree measuring that I intend to catch up on. I hope the tilt sensor lives up to ist billing also.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:07 am

Karl, et. al.

Upon return from Plattsburgh, NY and vicinity yesterday afternoon, Monica and I went straight to the UPS distribution center in West Springfield, and there it was. My new TruPulse 200X. No time was wasted in testing the laser out in our basement for distances of 12 to 27 feet. Today, the instrument will get a much more thorough testing. But, for the first round, the average distance difference between the TruPulse and the Bosch GLM80 was 1.99 inches over 10 trials. The TruPulse was always less than the super accurate Bosch. Interesting. I could have added 2 inches and been within 1.2 inches of absolute accuracy, or nearly so, on all 10 trials. But the roughly 2.0-inch accuracy level is pretty much according to the TrPulse's specifications. Lots of field testing remaining, but my initial impressions are all favorable. I expect that the undershooting will change for greater distances, so a range of correction factors may be needed. I'm hopeful that, I can get within +/-1.5 inches of true distance in over 90% of shots with the usual distance range of 50 to 300 feet.

I'm hoping that we can find lots of uses for this new instrument. As Don Bertolette and I continue to develop measurement guidelines for the American Forests National Cadre, we are presently focusing in on crown measurements. There may be a role for the TruPulse in measuring the silhouette crown-width using the 200X's better accuracy and its HD mode. I'll present the method after more testing, but the silhouette approach may prove to be an acceptable alternative to circling a tree and trying to locate where its maximum crown extensions lie when projected vertically down to ground level - a tricky job when part of the crown extends over the tops of roofs, out over open water, the other side of electric fences, onto a busy roadway.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:46 am

Bob,

Well, a happy day for you! Just curious if the 200X has the option of distance from front, rear, or center (mount) like the Bosch... could be the 2" difference.

Will

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:21 am

Bob- I would someday like to get a couple of Crown measurements on some of the largest Live Oaks. We have discussed this several times in the past. I just need to get off my duff and do it. I just need more time off and less work time. Lol To many trees to little time. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Will,

The 200X measures from the center at the tripod mount hole. So when the 200 Is on the tripod, presumably, the distance is to the tripod mount. This is where I set the Bosch. I've run 15 tests now, and the average difference is at 1.94 inches between the 200X and the Bosch. More testing tomorrow.

Larry,

I'll describe the Silhouette procedure in a few days and include it in a spreadsheet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”