Testing TruPulse 200 X

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Testing TruPulse 200 X

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 am

Karlheinz and Kouta,

Tomorrow, steve Colburn, Director of Sales, North America, will bring a TruPulse 200 X over from Denver and will allow me to test it. I have the red beam lasers here and will set up targets. A full report will be presented so that you can judge for yourselves.

Larry,

We should probably plan to return to Hermosa Creek to do the testing on the champion trees. I'm interested to see how well the gate works to ignore returns from objects closer than the target. If the 200 X performs as advertised, it would be the instrument of choice. I think the advertised accuracy is +/-2 centimeters. I'll takep it. I'm unsure of what the advertised accuracy of the tilt sensor is, but it should be +/- 0.1 degree or the improved accuracy of the laser will be compromised.

NTS

Larry has a post coming on our trip to Engineer Mountain yesterday. We have a surprise.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Re: Testing TruPulse 200 X

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 pm

dbhguru wrote: Larry has a post coming on our trip to Engineer Mountain yesterday. We have a surprise.

Bob
You guys saw Big Foot on a really big tree?
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Joe,

No, but Larry may have spotted mountain lion tracks on a snow drift. Being only 17.992 inches tall, he's close to the ground and can quickly spot tracks. And you should have seen him shinny up a tree when dogs came along and chased him.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Karlheinz and Kouta,

My initial experience with the TruPulse 200 X was very positive. Accuracy of the laser is about an inch and a half. Accuracy of the tilt sensor is 0.1 degree. The gate function has been improved to work in units of one foot. That is very useful. With this model, we were able to confirm the height of the champion Colorado blue spruce to 160.2 feet. We also were able to confirm the champion ponderosa to 160.3 feet. The nearby Doug fir is also 160.3 feet. The TruPulse 200 X will get another test tomorrow, but as of this point, I am impressed.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Kouta

I was able to test the laser accuracy this morning against the Bosch GLR825. Over 12 trials, the average difference between the two instruments was 1.5 centimeters. The gate function works, but my test was very limited. I saw enough to want a 200 X. I'll likely get it in August at which time the testing will continue. It will be too late for me if I find the purchase a mistake. However, I could save you all from a similar fate.

Oh yes, the firmware ig going to be upgradable by the Internet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 am

Bob, I have questions:

As you know, I want to buy an instrument with a sharply focusing laser beam. My main application will be: Mounted on tripod to point and measure precisely a small target at tree top. (Measurements in cluttered environments along the forest floor to the base of a trunk is not so significant for me because I already can do this very precisely with Leica DISTO D8 or by tape measure).

- The major technical modification to TP200X is the new laser with visible red light. You have tested it against the Bosch GLR825. You will have seen the footprints of the two laser beams when hitting the target and you will be able to compare. Did both footprints look the same? Were both beams equally narrowly focused?

- When you measured the tree top of champion Colorado blue spruce and others, was it in bright daylight or towards evening in fading light?

- In the TruPulse 200X Specifications < http://www.lasertech.com/TruPulse-Laser ... inder.aspx? I find no statement about the power of the new laser, but several dealers complement the specification as follows: “Eye safety: FDA Class 1 (CFR 21)”. This means strongly restricted laser power, in any case no more than 1 mW. Other rangefinders with Red Laser already introduced on the market are Leica Disto D8 and Trimble LaserAce 1000. For reasons of eye protection they also are limited to Class 1 devices. With these devices it is almost impossible to capture returns from the tree top, especially in bright daylight. They can not be recommended for tree height measurements. Therefore I am skeptical: How wants the TP200X to solve the job so much better than the competing models with the same laser power? Is there a statement of LTI?

Announced release date was postponed by months. Stakemill.com now says: Early 4th Quarter. I am unsure if it makes sense for me to continue waiting and trust the promises of LTI. They have published up to now only insufficient information about technical data and abilities. When the unit is on sale in Germany and at what price, remains open.

Karl

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Karl,

Am I mistaken to think that the visible red laser is NOT the impulse used for the length measurement? I was under the impression that the red beam was for positioning/sighting, not measuring.

Will

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 am

Yesterday at INTERGEO trade fair for geodesy in Essen I held in my hands a TP200X. LTI was present with an exhibition stand. LTI has promised dealers that TP200X is available here by the end of this month. More information than previously known was hard to get.

Respect wide of the laser beam, I asked LTI Product Manager. Sr. Derrick Reish for further clarification, I wrote to him the following email:

Hello Mr. Derrick Reish,

we met yesterday on INTERGEO 2013 in Essen. My reference is European tree hunting. I am very interested in getting more technical specifications of TP200X.
To be able to separate closely spaced targets in the tree crown, I need a device with a narrow laser beam. TruPulse200 is said to be such a rangefinder.

In http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... lse#p11271
our shared friend Michael. W. Taylor wrote:
Impulse200LR: 3) Wide laser beam. size of Nat Geo magazine at 1000 feet vs. deck of cards for Trupulse at same distance.

You told me, beam divergence of TP200 is 3 m at distance of 1000 m (TP200X 2 x 4 m at 1000 m).

These two statements do not match, please clear up!
I think this can be easily determined with a night vision device or a thermal imaging camera. Do you have corresponding images you can give me?

I will share this text with my friends in Native Tree Society BBS.

best regards
Karlheinz Brüne

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 am

Concerning the structure of the beam, there are now statements from the German distributor Breithaupt that refer to sources of LTI:

Laser spot related to 100 m:
TP200: ellipse lying, 42cm wide, 22cm high
TP200X: ellipse, 20cm wide, 15cm high

All TruPulse are equipped with infrared pulse lasers (I must correct my earlier statement).

According to these data, the TP200X is better suitable than the TP200 to keep apart small structures in the tree top. With the narrow beam of the Leica DISTO D8 (identical beam with Bosch GLR825) of 6cm diameter it can not keep up, but at Leica visible red Laser there are other drawbacks.

I think Bob will tell us soon about his practical experience with TP200X!

Karl

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Karl,

With any luck, I should have a TO200X by Nov 15th.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”