Page 1 of 1

Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 pm
by M.W.Taylor
I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 pm
by edfrank
Michael,

Pretty cool. Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display? The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular. You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks? How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed
trunk cross-section.JPG
trunk cross-section.JPG (31.11 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
trunk from bottom.JPG
trunk from bottom.JPG (33.87 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
trunk side-view.JPG
.

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am
by M.W.Taylor
Hey Ed,

Your pixel size is too large. Try under "Tools" menu, "options", then scroll down the list until you see "Appearance/Point Size". Select 2 for size. This will make the dense point clouds look more realistic and not blocky. You can also change your screen background color here.

Michael Taylor
edfrank wrote:Michael,

Pretty cool. Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display? The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular. You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks? How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed
trunk cross-section.JPG
trunk from bottom.JPG
trunk side-view.JPG
.

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm
by Rand
Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010. Big tree.
lapine-2 001.jpg
Is this the group you were with Michael?
Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

...

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.
lapine.jpg
lapine.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... asurements

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm
by M.W.Taylor
Hey Rand,

I was not there during the climb and picture taking. They just sent me the photo-bundle and I used photosynth to extract the point cloud. I plan to visit the tree for the first time later this year. I'll get more pictures for photosynthing if the weather is decent.

Michael


Rand wrote:Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010. Big tree.
lapine-2 001.jpg
Is this the group you were with Michael?
Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

...

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.
lapine.jpg
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... asurements

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am
by Don
Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:07 am
by mdvaden
Don wrote:Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don
That's a codominant leader up there.

To "unfuse" would probably require an actual splitting during a storm that ripped apart a potential fuse.

The base of that pine looks like a single tree.

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 pm
by Don
Mario-
If you go back up to the top and read Michael's post, he suggests that the LaPine "...was two trees that fused a long time ago.", and provides a LaPine cloud-mapped image that suggests as Michael says "...heart shaped lobes..."
Having said that, it was only after rereading Michael's post that I caught up with what he was saying...looking at the mid-section image with two climbers, it would be very easy (good bar bet picture!) to say it was "...a co-dominant leader..." I've a number of images I could gather on request that show fused trees "unfusing" without violent events involved...
-Don
M.W.Taylor wrote:I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California