Canadian Biomass Calculator

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Canadian Biomass Calculator

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:50 pm

ENTS,

I came across the following biomass calculator.

https://nfi.nfis.org/en/biomass_calc

I passed it on to my friend Dr. Tony D'Amato, Director of the University of Vermont's Forestry Program. Tony and I are exploring the tool. It can be applied to many eastern species including white pine, sugar maple, etc. At present, it appears to come up with amounts below the FIA-COLE model that I tout highly. Tony did some research and found the papers backing up the mode and sent it to me. The paper is very complicated and was aimed more at stand-level calculations instead of for individual trees. However, the above link allows you to compute biomass for individual trees and it is very easy. to use.

Anyway, it's easy to apply. It calls for diameter in centimeters and height in meters and returns results in kilos. Conversions from metric to Imperial are easy. The website lists Doug fir, Sitka spruce, and ponderosa pine. It would be interesting to compare some of Bob Van Pelt's and Michael Taylor's measurements converted from volume to biomass with the Canadian tool.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”