LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Erik,  I'll pluck out the tallest from the LiDAR point cloud and manually inspect the tree axis relative to vertical. I should be able to get some good estimates for you before going out and ground truthing. I will get the GPS as well for each of the tallest crowns.  The currently available software for tree height measurement tends to dramatically over-estimate hillside trees. A manual measurement is needed.

Erik Danielsen wrote:
M.W.Taylor wrote:Erik,  I have processed Zoar Valley MUA and found some very tall trees down on the benches by the river. There appears to be a few trees over 160ft and some even over 170ft.  I also got multiple 230'+ hits but I can see these trees are leaning over a circular scarp or depression. Will post results on NY state section here.

Thanks, definitely looking forward to it. The terrain definitely makes ground-truthing essential, but the complexity of the terraces is such that some of the best stuff may still be undocumented, on less obvious or accessible shelves than the well-known ones. I visited a narrow shelf on sunday about 50' below the main rim but still 150'+ above the river and was surprised to find decent tuliptrees, basswood, and even a new maximum for cucumber magnolia. Anything over 160 in groynd truthing would genuinely surprise me, but at the same time I absolutely believe it could be there.
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 33 times
Has Been Liked: 343 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby George Fieo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Michael,

Wow!!! If u have the time I would love to see the lidar data for Patapsco Valley State Park in Maryland from Rt 144 south to I 95. Also Rock Creek and Rock Creek Regional parks in Washington DC. Thanks.

George
George Fieo

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 109 times
Print view this post

#23)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:04 am

Tyler, I did process the best forested parts of the Congaree NP LiDAR and found a few trees over 160'. There were also some nice patches were everything was over 140'. Will post the images tomorrow.  Now looking at Laurel Fork Heritage Preserve LiDAR.  My isp at home does not allow me to post images here for some reason so I will post tomorrow while on the coffee shop WiFi.

Tyler wrote:Michael,

I would be interested in any South Carolina data for Congaree National Park especially areas that are 140'+. Also if there are any 180'+ trees in Laurel Fork Heritage Preserve and surrounding areas.

Thanks,

Tyler
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#24)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:07 am

Larry Tucei wrote:Michael-  Wow thanks.  I would like to have Tallahala Wildlife Management Area in Bienville NF and Black Creek Wilderness Area in Desoto NF. Larry

Larry, I processed the LiDAR for all of the TWA and did find a few 140' class trees. Nothing in the 150' class though. Will post images tomorrow when I get on an internet connection that allows me to post images. For some reason my satellite dish ISP does not allow me to post images on ENTS.

For this message the author M.W.Taylor has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#25)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:09 am

Ed, I processed Cook Forest State Park last year and found the same trees you and Bob already found, including the 185 white pine. Nothing taller was found on the LiDAR.  Will post images soon. My ISP at home does not allow me to post images.  Essentially, there were no surprises at Cook State Forest. You guys found em' all.

edfrank wrote:Michael,

I am curious about Cook Forest State Park in PA.  We had a fairly comprehensive survey a number of years ago.  This would be a chance to see what has grown, and get a feel for how comprehensive the original survey was.  We have maybe hundreds over 120, but fewer from 130 up with maximums to almost 185.

Edward Forrest Frank
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#26)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby dbhguru » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Michael,

There are a few isolated white pine stands in New Hampshire well worth checking out.  One is on the Connecticut River just south of where route 10 crosses the river in the town if Claremont. The pines are on sloping ground. I fear LIDAR would over-estimate the heights, but there should be several 160-footers and maybe a 170 or two. Can you check out the Claremont NH area just above the Connecticut River for tall pines? Thanks for whatever you are able to do.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#27)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby ElijahW » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks again, Michael.  I've been looking at Ricketts Glen for a while, but it looks like it'll drop some on my list of priorities for now.  You may have saved me a lot of time better spent elsewhere.  I just thought of another location worth looking at, if you have the time.  Ragged Mountain Reservoir in Charlottesville, VA has some young, tall forest that I've partially surveyed.  I'm not sure if it's covered by this NOAA dataset as it's close to the highlighted area on the map, but if it is covered I'd like to see what you can get from it.

Have a good evening,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 264 times
Print view this post

#28)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby edfrank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Thank Michael. I appreciate your looking at the are.

M.W.Taylor wrote:Ed, I processed Cook Forest State Park last year and found the same trees you and Bob already found, including the 185 white pine. Nothing taller was found on the LiDAR.  Will post images soon. My ISP at home does not allow me to post images.  Essentially, there were no surprises at Cook State Forest. You guys found em' all.

edfrank wrote:Michael,

I am curious about Cook Forest State Park in PA.  We had a fairly comprehensive survey a number of years ago.  This would be a chance to see what has grown, and get a feel for how comprehensive the original survey was.  We have maybe hundreds over 120, but fewer from 130 up with maximums to almost 185.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#29)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby Larry Tucei » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Michael-  Wow thanks!  I always knew there would be some 140' trees somewhere. The tallest I have measure are in the low to mid 130's but! Like finding a needle in a haystack though.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 698 times
Has Been Liked: 588 times
Print view this post

#30)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby mdavie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 pm

This is great Michael- for whoever is interested, Tennessee has apparently flown a lot of the state and the data is available ( https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/finance/s ... n.html#map), but a lot of it appears to be in large downloads, I'm not sure how to sort through to find the smaller sites within a large area. Hopefully I can still remember how to batch process files, it's been a few years! It's not exactly clear but I think Shelby County was flown, which has Meeman Shelby Forest, a Mississippi floodplain forest, Savage Gulf and Fall Creek Falls and the whole Cumberland Plateau region, and all of the mountains of East Tennessee, which is awesome.
It looks like all of Van Buren and Sequatchie counties are in one big-ass folder and you've got to download all of it? It's a bit much to have to download an entire county at a time, let alone two! I don't know how to geolocate tiles and pull out the info after you've downloaded 50GB of data, anyone have any tips on that? I'm looking at you, Michael...
mdavie

Has Liked: 248 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry