You Need to Register

Information about the Native Tree Society and its chapters, including: the Eastern Native Tree Society and the Western Native Tree Society.
dustin_x

You Need to Register

Post by dustin_x » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:52 pm

Please register to see the rest of this forum.

小熊维尼
包子
达赖喇嘛
西藏独立
香港加油
伟大的防火墙
专政
专政
坦克人

Erik Danielsen

Re: You Need to Register

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:52 pm

Hi Dustin,

Is this restriction to registered members a temporary security measure? There are many links and references to NTS threads (including some citations on wikipedia, I believe) that might be impacted.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:21 pm

Dustin,

I like your creative solution, but have the same question as Erik. Also, new potential members aren't able to browse the BBS to see what they're actually getting into prior to signing up.

On a related topic, do you have the ability to better secure the login page? You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance of web technology in wording my question, but the ents-bbs page in the address bar (in Firefox, for my example) displays a lock with a red line through it (indicating it's not secure); do you have a way to change that? I've talked to a few people familiar with and past users of the BBS who won't visit the page (or at least logon) due to the lack of a "https" in its address.

If I can help with these problems, let me know and I will do my best. Thank you for your work,

Elijah

nickmcummins

Post by nickmcummins » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:09 am

ElijahW wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:21 pm
On a related topic, do you have the ability to better secure the login page? You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance of web technology in wording my question, but the ents-bbs page in the address bar (in Firefox, for my example) displays a lock with a red line through it (indicating it's not secure); do you have a way to change that? I've talked to a few people familiar with and past users of the BBS who won't visit the page (or at least logon) due to the lack of a "https" in its address.
Yeah, I noticed this too, but decided to re-create an account anyways because I have been coming here for several years.
It just means that requests to/from the site are unencrypted, meaning network packets could be intercepted by a third party. Any passwords, credit card numbers used on this site could be stolen. Absolutely do use a unique password. But even with that there's still the risk that someone could hack our accounts on here if they really wanted to.

In order to enable HTTPS it's a pretty simple server configuration but you need to have an SSL certificate though and they usually cost like $50+/year, at least in my experience. So maybe the cert expired and wasn't renewed?