Seeking a Feature Article

Discussions of books, published articles, and websites related to trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Seeking a Feature Article

Postby Matt Markworth » Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 pm

NTS,

I'm currently seeking a feature article to display on the home page over on the forestreporter.com website. The one I have there right now is from November and is becoming dated.

The main thing that I'm looking for is an article that has as a topic one of the publicly accessible forests that is in the Old-Growth Forest Network. My motivation isn't to promote forestreporter.com, but rather to have an article posted there that can then be shared to the Old-Growth Forest Network Facebook page, the NTS Facebook page, and other groups that may be interested in it - and when I share the article link to those groups I'll add a couple lines of text in the Facebook post mentioning the fact that the forest is in the Old-Growth Forest Network, just as a small way to generate additional awareness of the network. It can be short or long, it can include tree measurements or not, and it can be an adaptation of one of your existing NTS posts, or it can be something brand new. With the forestreporter.com site being a labor of love (true for most of our tree-related pursuits!), I unfortunately don't have the capacity to compensate for any submissions like an established publisher can.

Here is a list of the forests in the Old-Growth Forest Network if you want to browse them and see if you've already visited one of them or if any of them are close to you: http://www.oldgrowthforest.net/dedicated-forests

Please email me at markworth at mail.com if you are interested.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Seeking a Feature Article

Postby Matt Markworth » Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 am

NTS,

With the recent good news about Crown Hill North Woods in Indianapolis, I have put Crown Hill "In the Spotlight" on my forestreporter.com website, in the same space that I had the "Featured Article" showing.

I'm still interested in the article idea that I mentioned in my last post though if anyone has any interest, and I have other article ideas that I may pursue over the summer.

If you ever have any other ideas please let me know as well. Here is the mission statement of the website and a brief purpose for each of the 4 main pages, just to give you an idea of what type of content might make for a nice article:

Mission: To provide a centralized resource for special forests under threat, with a primary focus on old-growth forests, and the ongoing efforts to protect them.

Newsfeed – Recent stories related to special forests.

Threatened Old-Growth – Specific old-growth forests under threat.

Protection Efforts – Specific protection efforts underway for special forests including old-growth.

Protection Successes – Forest protection examples.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#3)  Re: Seeking a Feature Article

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun May 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd love to contribute something but unfortunately none of the forests I'm very familiar with are in the network! Some candidates for sure though, and I'm trying to set up nominations for each of nyc's boroughs- I could do a writeup about the process of comparing candidate sites here if that would be helpful. All of course are quite disturbed but contain surprising old-growth elements, which can make it interesting...
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 243 times
Has Been Liked: 310 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Seeking a Feature Article

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Erik,

Yep, that sounds like an awesome article idea. It can be short or any length (because we all know life can be hectic and time is limited, and also shorter articles are more likely to be read all the way through), a description of a hike, tree measurements, etc. Searching for a candidate forest for the Old-Growth Forest Network would be a really nice tie in. It might serve as an inspiration for others to start looking for a candidate in their county.

Right now I'm looking for an OGFN candidate for Warren County, OH and your article idea is something I should pursue as well. It would be fun to include a brief description of each site I visited and some of the old-growth characteristics that may have been present.

So many counties don't even have any true old-growth remaining, so in many cases I suspect it'll have to be the most mature forest available. Having at least one forest identified in each county (that can support a forest) that is officially protected from logging and allowed to develop with as little human disturbance as possible I think is a very worthy goal.

If others have something to submit then I encourage any and all article ideas. I can add them so easily on my website, can include photos etc, and they can then be so easily shared across social media to garner readers. When listing the author of the article I would include the name of the author and can include a title such as Forest Reporter Contributor, or really any title or no title at all. I can include a short bio or whatever works.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

Return to Books, Articles, and Internet References