Carbon Science and the Climate

Science based discussions and forums.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Carbon Science and the Climate

Post by dbhguru » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Ents,

On the 8th I made a young presentation with Dr. William Moomaw at Harvard Forest on the role of Massachusetts forests in storing carbon. Today, Monica and I will be attending the state-wide annual Friends organization meeting, plus the DCR Stewardship Council meeting. I've been asked to be the keynote speaker at the Friends gathering, and will be sharing what some of us have been doing with respect to modeling trees to determine their carbon content. In reporting these events, I'm not looking for pats on the back, but rather to convey an important message. What we do does count - if we want it to and we pool our efforts.

Since last February, I've been in the center of discussions and presentations on the carbon uptake of our forests here in Massachusetts. We have a voice through both NTS and American Forests. Over the coming weeks/months, I'll outline what several of us have been doing and where NTS members can contribute.

Best
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: Carbon Science and the Climate

Post by Don » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Bob-
I'm sure there are folks in NTS that might be eager to volunteer for such a cause, but haven't had any more exposure to the whole carbon sequestration thing, than I have. Perhaps you could put together a simple quick primer that might get us 'over the hump' conceptually? I think there are a number of us who have the requisite skills (and perhaps equipment) to volunteer for this upcoming opportunity. Essentially a laser hypsometer, and a reticled monocular/binocular would be a great start!
What say you, field-going NTS-ers, would that help?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 am

Bob- I couldn't think of a better person for the job. Your knowledge and skills are second to none. Don- I think I can speak for several of us, we will be glad to participate in the Volume, Carbon footprint project and most of us already have the equipment. I just need a little guidance to get started. Once I figure it out I hope to contribute with the big Loblollies, Southern Red, White Oaks and Live Oaks. Larry

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Bob,

I'm definitely on board, I'll soon be purchasing a reticled monocular to begin volume measuring some of my trees. I'm hoping that I could contribute to acquiring volume data for black birch and sugar maple at different life stages, both species are well represented from saplings to mature specimens in the area. As part of a forest health study in my forest I've set up a number of monitoring plots to record changes at the site year by year, I'm planning on doing a yearly canopy height measurement (basically an average of all the canopy trees within the plot) to see how much that is increasing/decreasing on a stand level, similarly I'll be repeating the process with volume measurements, which I think will prove quite interesting. One goal of mine is to have at least one study plot per stand on my property so that the volume increase and carbon sequestration can be calculated based on the acreage each age group occupies.

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Science Forums”