Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby edfrank » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Canadian Geographic
January/February 2011 issue

Boreal Forest
War for the woods   (Page 1 of 5)

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf11/boreal_forest_agreement.asp

Environmentalists on one side, the forestry industry on the other. How did two groups with different aims call a truce and sign the historic Boreal Forest Agreement?

By Rick Boychuk with photography by Tobin Grimshaw

boreal.JPG

We’re sailing over a sea of green that rolls and heaves as far as the eye can see. Gusts of wind buffet our little airship as we circle lakes and dip into river valleys, following caribou trails and meandering moose deep in the boreal woods north of Cochrane, Ont. A late-August sun has burned off the morning mists and is spotlighting a rainbow of green, from the heathery colour of lichen to the emerald of new growth and the fire-black greens of Jack pine.

In the front seat, beside the pilot of our Bell Long Ranger helicopter, is Janet Sumner, who looks like a hip, middle-aged schoolteacher. The daughter of a plumber from London, Ont., she has a degree in physics from the University of Western Ontario and an abiding affection for urban life. Sumner is the executive director of one of the big players in environmental politics in Ontario, the Wildlands League, which is the provincial chapter of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 700 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby James Parton » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 am

Maybe this will stop it from all going to toilet paper!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 am

James Parton wrote:Maybe this will stop it from all going to toilet paper!

Maybe we should recycle toilet paper. (ha, ha, ha)

Actually, the agreement may be OK but I wouldn't conclude that it's as good as possible. I didn't read all of that long article but I believe part of the deal is FSC certification- which from what I've seen here in Mass. doesn't guarantee anything- in fact, when Mass. went to FSC certification for state lands- things got worse! And I certainly don't trust those enviro groups- especially TNC.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby KoutaR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 am

Immediate Actions
An early component of the Agreement is the suspension of logging on nearly 29 million hectares of Boreal Forest representing virtually all Boreal caribou habitat within company tenures, to allow for intensive caribou protection planning while maintaining essential fibre supply for uninterrupted mill operations. Another component is the suspension, by participating environmental organizations, of divestment and “do not buy” campaigns targeting the Boreal operations and products of companies participating in the Boreal Agreement.

http://www.canadianborealforestagreemen ... lights.pdf
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 228 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby KoutaR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am

Joe wrote:
James Parton wrote:Maybe this will stop it from all going to toilet paper!

Maybe we should recycle toilet paper. (ha, ha, ha)

We should consume less paper. If one forest is protected, the same amount of wood is taken from an another forest.

1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 228 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby James Parton » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Recycling paper would help. Getting the price down would make it more affordable to the masses though. You can actually buy toilet paper made from recycled paper. Seventh Generation is a major brand.

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby canada yew » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Hey ....I've known people who have worked in the pulp and paper industry inform me that, from consumer research on tissue products, consumers of paper tissue products have issues with the concept of recyled paper for use in tissue products.  Apparently, a majority of those researched seem confused about the concept of recycling when it comes to recycling paper for tissue products..And so they buy tissue products that do not specify 'recycling' when at the market.  It does kinda make sense when you think about how uneducated the public is on many recycling and environmental issues and concerns.  It doesn't suprise me but i did find it interesting research.

It continues to amaze me that ancient forest is cut down for tissue and paper product.

CYew
Canada Yew
canada yew

Has Liked: 22 times
Has Been Liked: 3 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby aalok » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 am

Alberta is a transitional province within Canada. Several different ecosystems in Canada meet in Alberta and gradually merge into one another. Included in these systems are the sub-arctic boreal forest of the north, the end of the great mountain ranges of the far west, and the end of the Great Plains regions to the east and south.
aalok

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:29 am

The so-called problem of paper can be easily solved by tree farms. I'm not a huge fan of tree farms, but where they can be planted in rural areas that are not currently wilderness, then it's the best solution. There have been tree farms in my native state of Georgia for over a hundred years. These farms provide all types of wood and pine products. If it can save wilderness tracts, then let's have them.

Lukewarm solutions such as the one mentioned in this article can be achieved in nations like Canada that have governments that are not 100% dominated by corporate interests. Something like this would be crushed immediately in the USA.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 498 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

Return to Boreal Forest