ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Reports of NTS Events and Trips for 2011

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Postby edfrank » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Dear Friends,

On Saturday, October 15, at 7:30 pm, Music at The Charlemont Inn will present the "Sixth Annual Eastern Native Tree Society Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose" at The Charlemont Inn on the Mohawk Trail, Route 2, in Charlemont, MA.  Performers will be Charlotte Dewey, soprano, David Schneider, clarinet, and Monica Jakuc Leverett, piano. Writers Joan Maloof and Norma Sims Roche, and poet Susan Middleton will be readers of their own original work. Writers Carol Edelstein and Robin Barber will read a selection by W.S. Merwin.  Admission for the concert/reading is free, but donations to the Eastern Native Tree Society will be gratefully accepted.  The concert will be preceded by hors d'oeuvres at 5:15 pm and dinner at 6 pm at the inn at $25/person, not including drinks.  Reservations can be made by email at dbhguru@comcast.net.

The evening's music, poetry and prose celebrate nature in all its glory, with a special emphasis on trees. The program will open with what has become the ENTS themesong: a Donald Swann song based on a J.R.R. Tolkien text spoken by the leader of the Ents. Soprano Charlotte Dewey will also sing "Lotusblume" by Robert Schumann.  The readers listed above will be interspersed with the musical selections. Other music on the program will include piano and clarinet works by Robert Schumann, and two clarinet pieces by Camille Saint-Saens, including a transcription of the famous "The Swan" from Carnival of the Animals. Monica Jakuc Leverett will play Debussy's "Clair de lune." Composer Jim Ballard (formerly of Charlemont, MA) has written a number of settings of Joyce Kilmer's famous poem "Trees," and Charlotte Dewey will sing two of them, followed by a Gershwin clarinet "Promenade" as a finale to the program.

All of the performers are frequently heard in the Pioneer Valley and beyond. All writers are local, with the exception of Joan Maloof, who is a featured speaker at the Forest Summit Conference at Holyoke Community College on October 13 and 14  ( Http://www.hcc.edu/news/events/annual-e ... est-summit ), and the author of Teaching the Trees: Lessons from the Forest, and Among the Ancients: Adventures in the Eastern Old Growth Forests.

I hope you can join us for a delightful afternoon and a delicious dinner. For those of you who like to frolic in the woods, I will be sending shortly an email describing the daytime activities on Saturday October 15.

Best wishes,

Monica
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes - 2:
James Parton, jamesrobertsmith
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Postby AndrewJoslin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Monica, thanks for putting together an incredible program for the ENTS gathering in Charlemont. The depth and the quality of the musicianship, poetry, prose and reading was beyond amazing, I felt honored to be there. Well done to everyone who put their voice or music forward for the ENTS present to contemplate and enjoy!
-Andrew
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 149 times
Has Been Liked: 88 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Postby James Parton » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 am

I sure wish I could be there!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Postby tomhoward » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:48 pm

The evening at Charlemont Inn was one of the best evenings in my life. The dinner was fabulous, and it was great being with our fellow tree lovers. The Evening of Music, Poetry, and Prose topped it all! It is the most glorious musical event I have ever attended. The Tolkien song was glorious, and I was deeply moved by Joan Maloof''s readings, by Monica's beautiful playing of "Clair de lune", one of the loveliest pieces of music ever composed. All of the evening was a wonderful experience!

Tom Howard
tomhoward

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 198 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose 10/15

Postby michael gatonska » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am

Hi Monica;
I am sorry to have missed this. If you are planning a similiar event for the upcoming 2012 year, I would like to submit some music to be considered for performance  -- and of course I would like be there!
Michael
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSoundscapes?ob=0&feature=results_main
michael gatonska

{ IMAGES }: 2
Has Liked: 80 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

Return to Events 2011