Ireland Trees and Forests Links

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Ireland Trees and Forests Links

Postby edfrank » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Ireland:  Forests and Trees

Ireland_(island)_in_Europe.png

Ireland_(island)_in_Europe.png (11.97 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

Ireland_A2003004.jpg

The Tree Council of Ireland http://www.treecouncil.ie/index.html  The Tree Council of Ireland is a voluntary non-governmental organisation which was formed in 1985, to promote the planting, care and conservation of trees in both urban and rural areas. It is the umbrella body linking together 50 organisations connected by their appreciation of trees, and it aims to foster a tree and wood culture among Irish people.

The lost woods of Killarney. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1525/is_n2_v82/ai_19148785/pg_1  Old-growth oak forest in Ireland - includes related information Sierra, March-April, 1997 by Rebecca Solnit

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Ireland Trees and Forests Links

Postby Bosque » Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you for the link to the Tree Council. The video was very informative and gave me hope for the oaks of Ireland. My light research on Irish tree planting had given me the impression that mainly pines were being planted. I had never heard clootie trees called rag trees before. I liked the close up of this tree and what it held.

In September of 2011 I took my first trip to Ireland, and I hope to go back. I was braced for the relative lack of trees in my ancestral homeland of County Mayo after Killarney, but it was still a relief to head east toward Dublin and see more green overhead.  (Of course Mayo has beauty of its own.) It reminds me of heading east in our country after being on the plains. You can take the girl out of northeastern Ohio, but you can't take the woods out of the girl! Somewhere I read that at one time trees were disdained by many in Ireland because they only existed on the estates of the wealthy. Hopefully that time is long past!

While in Ireland I bought a copy of Irish Trees: Myths, Legends & Folklore by Niall Mac Coitir. If anyone would like a lookup about, say, a particular species, I would be happy to do it. I don't mean to discourage buying it yourself though. It has lovely illustrations and is well worth purchasing.

Slan go foill.

Carol
Bosque

Has Liked: 131 times
Has Been Liked: 29 times
Print view this post

Return to Ireland