HCC FOREST SUMMIT/ENTS RENDEZVOUS NEWS

Reports and discussions of the HCC Forest Summit #6, and the ENTS Rendezvous held in october 2010.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

HCC FOREST SUMMIT/ENTS RENDEZVOUS NEWS

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

ENTS,

The October Forest Summit Lecture Series-ENTS rendezvous is shaping up to be a dilly. We currently have 12 speakers committed and will probably add two more. The indoor part of the conference is October 14th and 15th at Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA. The ENTS rendezvous part is Oct 16th in Mohawk Trail State Forest during the day and at the Charlemont Inn in the late afternoon and evening. In terms of presenters for Oct 14-15, we have presently lined up:

Dr. Lee Frelich (UMN and ENTS - will speak on darn-well whatever he wishes)

Dr. David Foster (Harvard University - Harvard Forest- will speak on Wildlands and Woodlands initiative)

Dr. Susan Flader (University of Missouri - on Aldo Leopold legacy and the Pioneer forest initiative )

Dr. Jesse Bellemare (Smith College - yet to be announced)

Dr. Taber Allison (Massachusetts Audubon Society - yet to be announced)

Dr. Doug Seale (Independent- history of environmental ethics)

Professor Gary Beluzo (Holyoke Community College - autopoietic forests)

Bob O'Connor (Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs - to be announced)

Chris Matera (Massachusetts Forest Watch - to be announced)

Will Blozan (ENTS - climbing the world's tallest giant Sequoia)

Sharl Heller (Representing Friends Groups of Mass - the roll and accomplishments of Friends Groups in Massachusetts )

Bob Leverett (ENTS - Forest Visioning - Real Process or New Buzz-term)

We hope to add at least two others - Dr. Don Bragg and Dr. Neil Pederson. I am holding a spot for Dr. Gaines McMartin in case he is able to make it. We will have at least one presentation at the Charlemont Inn. I'm hoping Ed Frank will give another excellent presentation on ENTS and its accomplishments.

It has been challenge for Gary and I to craft a balanced agenda. It is is only about big trees and inspiring places, we get small turnouts. Spice things with a little controversy and we have people battering down the door to get in.

Bob

The theme of the conference will be 'Forest Visioning: Concepts and Practices'. Will Blozan has agreed to make a presentation on his climb of the world's tallest giant Sequoia. That's a must see.

Well, this is just the first crack. I'm going to try to get a display by DCR of the great trees of MTSF and MSF. Tomorrow, I'll be looking at the display as it has taken shape thus far. The display will be presented from June 14 to mid-September at the Western Gateway Heritage State Park in North Adams, MA.
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: Fall Conference

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

ENTS,

We've added Dr. Henry Art from Williams College to the lecture agenda. You can read up on Hank by Googling him. He is the Samuel Fessenden Clarke Professor of Biology at Williams, and has held that position since 1970.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm

ENTS,

To keep everyone up to date, I may try to get the leader of the MANOMET study group to present at the fall conference. By then the far left and right will each have taken their shots at the study and MANOMET will probably be in damage recovery mode. I already see the fringes picking at the study conclusions. There are some organizations that are hiring analysts to review the study and submit their evaluations. There's big bucks at stake and the sharks are going to circling their prey. One especially energetic fellow who used to post on the ENTS list is already taking potshots. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Basically, folks, supporters of biomass are trying to convince the public that cutting down trees and burning them is carbon neutral. The argument goes that the trees will grow back and absorb CO2 at a higher rate and offset what was put into the air through burning. The assumption is that the largely clearcut areas will be left alone to re-grow and any silviculture done will be to enhance growth rates for carbon absorption purposes. Anyone who believes this sales pitch, well, I've got a property down in Brooklyn with a nifty bridge on it. I'd like to sell to an interested buyer.

The assumptions behind biomass returns are about as flaky as has ever come out of a lobby. We'll see contorted logics and highly improbable scenarios cast as unfettered truth. There may be a very limited role for biomass for a limited window of time, but not on the scale being pitched by the corporate overlords.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm

ENTS,

We've added Neil Pederson and Mary Booth to the line up of speakers for the fall conference. It will be a star-studded event.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am

ENTS,

This is a reminder that the annual fall conference is nearing. It is Oct 14-16 in colorful western Mass. The colors should be at their peak. The period Oct 14-15 is reserved for the actual lecture portion, which is held at Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA. Oct 16th is the ENTS Rendezvous at MTSF and the Charlemont Inn. Will and Bart climb Jake for the 4th time.

Below are some slightly different shots of Mohawk. I usually photograph the trunks of big pines. The light contrast was very great while Monica and I were walking in the meadows. I tried to capitalize on contrast with this lower meadow shot. Not quite sure it worked, but here it is.
ShadowsAndLightS.jpg
The young Frog Pond Pines grow next to the lower meadow. Here is a peek at them. Young or not, there are already 5 over 140.
FrogPondPinesS.jpg
An old 1800s woods road joins the lower to the upper meadow. This is a shot from the road, looking down toward the lower meadow.
MeadowsRoadS.jpg
The upper meadow is a place of true peace and tranquility and exquisite loveliness. I know of nobody who doesn't find it extraordinary. This time of year, the goldenrod puts on a show. The monarch butterflies fluttered here and there. I couldn't catch one still enough to take a shot.

I often walk in the upper meadow enjoying either the sun or wind on my face. It is a place where spirit speaks to those who can quite the chatter of the conscious mind. The Trees of Peace lie at the southern end of the meadow and the Algonquin Pines at the northern end. The mowed path in the image is the Mahican-Mohawk Trail, laid out in honor of the original Indian Trail.
UpperMeadowS.jpg
I do hope many Ents will join us at this singular New England state forest and event. Please remember, Saturday evening is the banquet at the historic Charlemont Inn. We will be throwing a party for the Jake Swamp and Grandfather white pines. We will celebrate Jake reaching 170 feet and Grandfather bulking up to 1,000 cubes. Now, I ask you, could anything finer be celebrated?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Lisa,

The conference will begin around 9:00AM on Oct 14th. The period of presentations with breaks, of course, will be 9:00M until 9:00PM both days. It's a heavy duty affair. Oct 16th is the fun day in the forest and at the Charlemont Inn in the late afternoon and evening.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Gary Beluzo

HCC FOREST SUMMIT/ENTS RENDEZVOUS

Post by Gary Beluzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:32 am

Greetings ENTS!

The 2010 FOREST SUMMIT (our 6th in the series) will be held October 14th and 15th, 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. The Summit Series focuses on important issues related to trees and forests. This year the Summit will focus on FOREST HEALTH. All of the information regarding speakers, topics, times, and directions may be found at http://www.hcc.edu/forest. The website will be updated several times a week as the Summit event approaches. I will also check this BB for questions about the event.

Gary

Gary A. Beluzo
Professor of Environmental Science
Holyoke Community College
303 Homestead Avenue
Holyoke, MA 01040

413 552-2445
gbeluzo@hcc.edu
"..powered in ecological space and evolutionary time.."

Gary Beluzo

Re: HCC FOREST SUMMIT/ENTS RENDEZVOUS

Post by Gary Beluzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am

The ENTS RENDEZVOUS will take place the day after the FOREST SUMMIT (Saturday, October 16) at MTSF in Charlemont, MA. Full details will also be available on my FOREST SUMMIT website (www.hcc.edu/forest). You may also send your questions regarding the rendezvous to Bob Leverett.

Gary
"..powered in ecological space and evolutionary time.."

edfrank

ENTS Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose

Post by edfrank » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Sunday October 16 at 7:30 pm

Music at the Charlemont Inn:
Fifth Annual Eastern Native Tree Society Evening of Music, Poetry and Prose

Eileen Ruby, mezzo-soprano; Benjamin Schwartz, cellist; Tanya Blaich, Monica Jakuc Leverett, and Christine Olson, pianists; Susan Middleton, Norma Roche, readers.

Music, poetry and prose celebrating Nature

The Charlemont Inn, Charlemont, MA • http://www.charlemontinn.com

Admission free; donations gratefully accepted for Eastern Native Tree Society and Charlemont Historical Preservation Society

Hors d’oeuvres at 5 pm; Dinner at 6 pm $25/person, not including drinks.
Please make reservations by email: dbhguru@comcast.net

Link to Google map:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+Charl ... CBYQnwIwAA
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Re: HCC FOREST SUMMIT/ENTS RENDEZVOUS

Post by edfrank » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm

forestsummit6.jpg
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “HCC Forest Summit 6/ENTS Rendezvous 2010”