ENTS Fall conference

Reports and discussions of the HCC Forest Summit #6, and the ENTS Rendezvous held in october 2010.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DonCBragg

Re: Fall Conference

Post by DonCBragg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am

Bob--

I'm probably about 90% sure I'll be able to make this fall meeting--I have several high priority tasks to get off my plate first, but I will hopefully know in a couple weeks what my plans will be. Thanks for being patient!

Don

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Don,

Thanks for keeping me posted. We really hope you can make it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Looks very nice! I'm not sure if I can go, but if I do then it will be the first time I've ever gone to a thing of this sort. I am reading Sand County Almanac right now, interested what the speaker will have to say. And I didn't know that Will climbs Sequoias.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 am

ENTS,

This is a reminder that the annual fall conference is nearing. It is Oct 14-16 in colorful western Mass. The colors should be at their peak. The period Oct 14-15 is reserved for the actual lecture portion, which is held at Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA. Oct 16th is the ENTS Rendezvous at MTSF and the Charlemont Inn. Will and Bart climb Jake for the 4th time.

Below are some slightly different shots of Mohawk. I usually photograph the trunks of big pines. The light contrast was very great while Monica and I were walking in the meadows. I tried to capitalize on contrast with this lower meadow shot. Not quite sure it worked, but here it is.
ShadowsAndLightS.jpg
The young Frog Pond Pines grow next to the lower meadow. Here is a peek at them. Young or not, there are already 5 over 140.
FrogPondPinesS.jpg
An old 1800s woods road joins the lower to the upper meadow. This is a shot from the road, looking down toward the lower meadow.
MeadowsRoadS.jpg
The upper meadow is a place of true peace and tranquility and exquisite loveliness. I know of nobody who doesn't find it extraordinary. This time of year, the goldenrod puts on a show. The monarch butterflies fluttered here and there. I couldn't catch one still enough to take a shot.

I often walk in the upper meadow enjoying either the sun or wind on my face. It is a place where spirit speaks to those who can quite the chatter of the conscious mind. The Trees of Peace lie at the southern end of the meadow and the Algonquin Pines at the northern end. The mowed path in the image is the Mahican-Mohawk Trail, laid out in honor of the original Indian Trail.
UpperMeadowS.jpg
I do hope many Ents will join us at this singular New England state forest and event. Please remember, Saturday evening is the banquet at the historic Charlemont Inn. We will be throwing a party for the Jake Swamp and Grandfather white pines. We will celebrate Jake reaching 170 feet and Grandfather bulking up to 1,000 cubes. Now, I ask you, could anything finer be celebrated?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Bob: Two of us from WV are seriously considering attending the fall conference. Any suggestions for reasonable cost accommadations such as dorm rooms, camping, street couch, etc. Arrive Wednesday late PM, leave Sunday early AM.
Turner Sharp

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 am

Turner,

I'll look into accommodations right away. I do hope you will be able to make it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 am

Bob,

The list of presenters is impressive. Do you know what the times are on the 14th and 15th? Is it an afternoon or an evening conference?

Lisa

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Lisa,

The conference will begin around 9:00AM on Oct 14th. The period of presentations with breaks, of course, will be 9:00M until 9:00PM both days. It's a heavy duty affair. Oct 16th is the fun day in the forest and at the Charlemont Inn in the late afternoon and evening.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Bob, A beautiful Meadow indeed! I can sense the relaxation one would get there just by your photos. Wow what a line up of speakers! The fall gathering would be great to attend. I wish I could come up. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Larry,

It would be great to have you join us. Will is coming up early and we're going over to New York to see some big pines in the Dacks. We may also run up to Hemmenway State Park in NH. Any Ents coming up can join us on these excursions. Lots going on.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “HCC Forest Summit 6/ENTS Rendezvous 2010”