ENTS Fall conference

Reports and discussions of the HCC Forest Summit #6, and the ENTS Rendezvous held in october 2010.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

ENTS Fall conference

Post by dbhguru » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

ENTS,

Oct 14-16 has been scheduled for the fall ENTS conference to be held at Holyoke Community College, Holyoke MA. We will post the agenda and schedule in the near future.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Gary Beluzo

Re: ENTS Fall conference

Post by Gary Beluzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Bob,

We need to clarify what we are doing at the College. My VP asked me today in passing if the HCC/ENTS Forest Summit was going to run again. I told him yes but we were also using the opportunity to have a full day two event. We have to make sure that the event is public focused, co-sponsored by HCC for publicity reasons, and involves HCC faculty/students if interested. Otherwise we would need to consider a registration fee and be responsible for the actual costs to the College.

IF we want to make it an all ENTS event and begin calling it an ENTS Conference for publicity purposes we may want to change venues or consider a registration fee and formalize the costs. We should brainstorm. Personally, I would have no problem moving the event to a larger venue if that is what is needed for the next phase of ENTS. Our we growng out of our snuggly coccoon?

Gary
"..powered in ecological space and evolutionary time.."

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 am

Gary,

My assumption is that we always pitch it as a public service provided by the college. ENTS volunteers in helping to organize it, but it shouldn't be seen as an ENTS conference.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:08 am

Bob, Gary, and all,

I am sorry that I am going to have to miss this chance to get together with you as I am going to a Palm Springs spa at the same time.

Beth
Trees are the Answer

Lee Frelich

Post by Lee Frelich » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 am

Bob:

Sounds good, I have those dates reserved.

Lee

djluthringer

Post by djluthringer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Bob,

Regretably, I won't be able to make it that weekend. Turns out that's the weekend of our yearly volunteer workday at the park that I can't get out of... I have to facilitate the event.

Dale

dbhguru

Fall Conference

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

ENTS,

The October Forest Summit Lecture Series-ENTS rendezvous is shaping up to be a dilly. We currently have 12 speakers committed and will probably add two more. The indoor part of the conference is October 14th and 15th at Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA. The ENTS rendezvous part is Oct 16th in Mohawk Trail State Forest during the day and at the Charlemont Inn in the late afternoon and evening. In terms of presenters for Oct 14-15, we have presently lined up:

Dr. Lee Frelich (UMN and ENTS - will speak on darn-well whatever he wishes)

Dr. David Foster (Harvard University - Harvard Forest- will speak on Wildlands and Woodlands initiative)

Dr. Susan Flader (University of Missouri - on Aldo Leopold legacy and the Pioneer forest initiative )

Dr. Jesse Bellemare (Smith College - yet to be announced)

Dr. Taber Allison (Massachusetts Audubon Society - yet to be announced)

Dr. Doug Seale (Independent- history of environmental ethics)

Professor Gary Beluzo (Holyoke Community College - autopoietic forests)

Bob O'Connor (Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs - to be announced)

Chris Matera (Massachusetts Forest Watch - to be announced)

Will Blozan (ENTS - climbing the world's tallest giant Sequoia)

Sharl Heller (Representing Friends Groups of Mass - the roll and accomplishments of Friends Groups in Massachusetts )

Bob Leverett (ENTS - Forest Visioning - Real Process or New Buzz-term)

We hope to add at least two others - Dr. Don Bragg and Dr. Neil Pederson. I am holding a spot for Dr. Gaines McMartin in case he is able to make it. We will have at least one presentation at the Charlemont Inn. I'm hoping Ed Frank will give another excellent presentation on ENTS and its accomplishments.

It has been challenge for Gary and I to craft a balanced agenda. It is is only about big trees and inspiring places, we get small turnouts. Spice things with a little controversy and we have people battering down the door to get in.

Bob

The theme of the conference will be 'Forest Visioning: Concepts and Practices'. Will Blozan has agreed to make a presentation on his climb of the world's tallest giant Sequoia. That's a must see.

Well, this is just the first crack. I'm going to try to get a display by DCR of the great trees of MTSF and MSF. Tomorrow, I'll be looking at the display as it has taken shape thus far. The display will be presented from June 14 to mid-September at the Western Gateway Heritage State Park in North Adams, MA.
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Re: Fall Conference

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

ENTS,

We've added Dr. Henry Art from Williams College to the lecture agenda. You can read up on Hank by Googling him. He is the Samuel Fessenden Clarke Professor of Biology at Williams, and has held that position since 1970.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm

ENTS,

To keep everyone up to date, I may try to get the leader of the MANOMET study group to present at the fall conference. By then the far left and right will each have taken their shots at the study and MANOMET will probably be in damage recovery mode. I already see the fringes picking at the study conclusions. There are some organizations that are hiring analysts to review the study and submit their evaluations. There's big bucks at stake and the sharks are going to circling their prey. One especially energetic fellow who used to post on the ENTS list is already taking potshots. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Basically, folks, supporters of biomass are trying to convince the public that cutting down trees and burning them is carbon neutral. The argument goes that the trees will grow back and absorb CO2 at a higher rate and offset what was put into the air through burning. The assumption is that the largely clearcut areas will be left alone to re-grow and any silviculture done will be to enhance growth rates for carbon absorption purposes. Anyone who believes this sales pitch, well, I've got a property down in Brooklyn with a nifty bridge on it. I'd like to sell to an interested buyer.

The assumptions behind biomass returns are about as flaky as has ever come out of a lobby. We'll see contorted logics and highly improbable scenarios cast as unfettered truth. There may be a very limited role for biomass for a limited window of time, but not on the scale being pitched by the corporate overlords.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm

ENTS,

We've added Neil Pederson and Mary Booth to the line up of speakers for the fall conference. It will be a star-studded event.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “HCC Forest Summit 6/ENTS Rendezvous 2010”