Biomass energy worse than coal

Discussions related to Biomass Energy Production.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Ranger Dan

Re: Biomass energy worse than coal

Post by Ranger Dan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Heard of terra preta? It is as a means of sequestering carbon in soil in the form of charcoal. It seems that charcoal is more stable than other forms of carbon, and it dramatically improves the fertility of soil. (Hope the farmers don't go converting all their woodlots into charcoal now.) Be ready to respond to the Rush Limbaugh supporters when they say the best means of sequestering carbon of forests is...in buildings! (They may be right!)

Ranger Dan

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 pm

More stable than other forms of carbon? How about diamond? Or fullerines? If any of you don't know about fullerines, Google them and have fun reading and being fascinated.

--Gaines

p.s. Yes, I know you are talking about carbon in organic compounds. But then that is another fascinating topic. Carbon enters into more compounds--or so I have heard--than all other elements combined. Yes, I am fascinated by carbon--#6 on the periodic chart. Hey, we are just "carbon-based units." Too bad carbon is getting trashed in this global warming business.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:26 am

The Manomet Study went too easy on biomass. The European scientists have a different conclusion: http://www.birdlife.org/eu/pdfs/carbon_ ... 6_2010.pdf

Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Joe wrote:The Manomet Study went too easy on biomass. The European scientists have a different conclusion: http://www.birdlife.org/eu/pdfs/carbon_ ... 6_2010.pdf

Joe
looks like I changed my mind! I've attached a new study from northern New England.
Joe
Attachments
CO2%20from%20Wood%20and%20Coal%20Combustion.pdf
(101.46 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Return to “Biomass”