Biomass allocation upsets ecology groups, NB

Discussions related to Biomass Energy Production.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Biomass allocation upsets ecology groups, NB

Post by edfrank » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Biomass allocation upsets ecology groups
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 9, 2010
CBC News
Environmental groups in New Brunswick say they're concerned about the allocation of "wood waste" on Crown land to eight private forestry companies. The province's first biomass policy, announced in 2008, covered 3.3 million hectares of Crown forests and allowed for interested groups to harvest the land for biomass. The idea is to use wood waste left from logging — including tree tops, branches and foliage — to produce renewable energy and products. The government put out a request for proposals in 2009. On Tuesday it announced that of the 16 applications received, eight of them — all large forestry companies — received allocations.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010 ... z0qVHaiMG8

New Brunswick's move to mine the forest floor for wood debris for energy is disturbing:
Conservation Council
June 9, 2010
Conservation Council of New Brunswick Media Release
http://conservationcouncil.ca/News/news06091001.aspx
For Immediate Release

Fredericton - The Conservation Council is alarmed by the granting of eight allocations to mine biomass from New Brunswick's public forest; the largest allocation going to Twin Rivers (formerly Frasers) of 308,000 cubic metres and half of the eight allocations going to Irving-owned companies.

"The widespread clearcutting of our forest is appalling enough. To suck up what remains and cart it away to burn will devastate nature," said David Coon, Executive Director of the Conservation Council.

The Conservation Council points to a glaring lack of consideration for habitat protection for New Brunswick's forest species, in particular, invertebrates, amphibians and small mammals in the province's Crown Forest Biomass Policy... (continued)
The piece below concerning a biomass harvest in Nova Scotia was copied from
http://www.novanewsnow.com/Natural-reso ... of-Earth/1

Pardon Me, Thou Bleeding Piece of Earth
biomass_NB.jpg
biomass_NB.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Jamie Simpson, Forestry Program Coordinator, Ecology Action Centre: “In my time as a forester, I have never seen such destructive forestry. Not to be overly dramatic, but the scene was amazingly horrific for anyone who values our native forest. Not only was the forest cover completely removed, but even the forest floor was destroyed over most of the harvest area.” Jamie Simpson photo
Published on November 25th, 2009
Published on January 30th, 2010
Commentary: More About This Later By David Tinker
A week ago, as I was preparing to write a frothy, frivolous and flaky column, I received an email that changed the whole agenda. To say I was stunned, horrified, shaken to the core, would be understatements. The message was from Jamie Simpson, a forestry expert who works for the Ecology Action Centre (EAC), a respected environmental NGO. He had actually been invited to tour Northern Pulp's "sustainable" harvesting operation in Upper Musquodoboit, probably because EAC has been mildly critical of the biomass energy agenda. He was not prepared for what he saw and photographed. Nor was I. In my youth I was employed for many summers in the forestry sector. I have walked through clear cuts, and I have flown over them in a small plane. I have seen some awful forestry practices and some good ones. But never have I seen such a scene of total, awful devastation as in the Upper Musquodoboit site. Simpson remarked also that he had never as a professional forester seen such destruction. Not only the trees were removed, but even the forest floor. Nothing remained except a wasteland of mud.

To put it into perspective, imagine that the entire landscape between Bridgetown and Annapolis Royal between the North and South Mountains were to be stripped clear of everything, every tree, every house, literally every blade of grass. All around is a moonscape of yellow mud, scarred with craters filled with dirty water, and the tracks of bulldozer treads. On the horizon is a patch of twenty or thirty trees, say at the Hebb's Landing park on the Annapolis River. Everything else is gone. The only comparison would be to the shell-scarred landscape of Flanders during the Passchendaele battle. That, without any exaggeration on my part, is what you would find in Upper Musquodoboit - if you were allowed in at all, which is unlikely. And yet Northern Pulp, Nova Scotia Power and the Department of Environment are actually touting this as "sustainable harvesting of renewable resources", presumably because they have left a few dozen trees standing.

Coincidentally that morning, Dan Leger, the respected editor of the Chronicle Herald wrote a scathing critique of the whole Biomass Energy agenda. He is not a person who often weighs in on environmental issues. All the evidence available convinces him that harvesting forests to burn for energy is economically unsustainable under present conditions. But get this: the industry proposes to double the amount of wood removed! Folks, we have been sold a bill of goods by the energy industry, who have been handed Nova Scotia's forest resources on a plate as cheap raw material for electricity production. And they have the gall, the umitigated gall to tell us this is sustainable! Oh yes, it's a renewable resource alright, it's just that there is not the slightest intention of renewing it, based on the actual photographic evidence we have seen.

As Shakespeare put it' "Pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth, that I am meek and gentle with these butchers". If you have any shred of concern for the future of our natural resources it's time to take action to stop this evil, stupid program. Let politicians know they will lose your vote forever if they continue to support this ghastly rape of Nova Scotia's forests.
DAVID TINKER writes a weekly opinion column for The Annapolis County Spectator.

Forest Biomass Retention and Harvesting Guidelines for the Northeast
biomass_FG.jpg
biomass_FG.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
On the other side of this issue, in the northeastern United States anyway, is The Forest Guild. The Forest Guild has just released this paper: "Forest Biomass Retention and Harvesting Guidelines for the Northeast". (courtesy of Mike Leonard)

http://biomassmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=3807

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Biomass”