mysterious scar on my tulip poplar

Discussions of arboriculture and landscape design and of shrub and tree varieties appropriate for different areas.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

mysterious scar on my tulip poplar

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I just noticed this scar on my tulip poplar a week or two ago. It is about 12-15 feet up the tree, so it couldn't have been cause by people bumping into it from the ground or something. Any ideas about what could have caused it?

I had a tree crew reduce the crown on a nearby slippery elm this spring, but I was watching them the whole time and didn't notice the tree getting hit. But he was up there in his bucket and it was a little awkward maneuvering the arm around to avoid the house and other trees, etc. But again, I really didn't see him bump the tulip.

In a way, I am hoping that is what caused the scar -- bumping against the tree with the bucket or maybe a limb from the elm. That will heal. I really hope it's not some weird disease or insect that's going to turn out to be some kind of chronic problem for this tree.
tulipscar.jpg
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

PAwildernessadvocate

Re: mysterious scar on my tulip poplar

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:12 am

You know what I think it was? I think the tree simply added so much girth so rapidly this summer that it split the bark open. There's another wound just like this one on the back side of the tree I didn't notice before. They've both already pretty much healed.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Lucas

Re: mysterious scar on my tulip poplar

Post by Lucas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Bark-Field-Guide- ... words=bark

This is good on explaining such features.

Heat cold sun do surprising things to bark.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “Arboriculture and Landscaping”