Islamic Leaders Preach Conservation in Sumatra, Indonesia

This forum is for more genaralized discussions of the relationship between religion and beliefs and the environment. Those subjects dealing with various present indigenous cultures are discussed in the Indigenous Peoples Forum.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Islamic Leaders Preach Conservation in Sumatra, Indonesia

Post by edfrank » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Published February 25, 2011 07:24 AM
Islamic Leaders Preach Conservation in Sumatra, Indonesia (updated)

http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/42401
Do religious texts mandate respect for the earth and other species? Some Islamic leaders in Sumatra believe the Koran does.

In Indonesia, the country with the highest rate of deforestation and some of the most diverse habitat in the world, many Islamic leaders believe religion is the key to conservation. In Sumatra, habitat is disappearing fast, mainly due to oil palm plantations, and populations of animals like the Sumatran orangutan and tiger are dwindling. Education is key to solving the region’s environmental problems, the leaders believe, and religion has the potential to spark wide public interest in environmental awareness.

Called FORDALING (the Islamic Leader Forum for Environmental Care), the group believes the Koran directly addresses the need for protecting the natural world. They explain this in their newly released book Ayat-Ayat Konservasi (Islamic Verses for Conservation). Through this book and other projects, these religious leaders have set out to show Indonesian Muslims why conservation should be important to them and the world.

The 120-page book consists of chapters such as "Earth, Our Collective Home," "Leuser [National] Forest, an Invaluable Gift from Our Creator," "Nature Conservation in the Age of Muhammad the Messenger", and "Implementation of Islamic Principles in Conservation by Communities around the Leuser Forests." (continued)
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Re: Islamic Leaders Preach Conservation in Sumatra, Indonesi

Post by Joe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm

But, it's unfortunate that they should have to fall back on their religion to encourage conservation, which should be based on science and common sense. By doing so, they imply that their religion has the answers to all problems, which of course is false. To use religion for this purpose is a fundamentalist behavior- not something to encourage.

I believe a group of Christian groups offered something similar not long ago. I don't need Moses or Jesus to understand that whacking the Earth is a bad idea.
Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Joe, you have common sense. Something so many people lack.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Joe,

The people involved with conservation interpretation are not among the Islamic fundamentalists. I live in part of the conservative Christian religious belt here in PA. I have heard fundamentalist Christians express the opinion that they have a God given right to exploit natural resources how ever they want to because it says so in the Bible. I am not a religious person, but the argument that a person's religion has answers to all things is not really to the point. It is how do people with a particular religious belief system see their role in the conservation or exploitation of the natural world. Most of the tropical rainforests in SE Asia are controlled by Muslim dominated governments and societies. If they want to use a religious context to argue for the preservation of rainforests, so much the better if it reaches the religious peoples of those countries. Whether you believe that a particular religious world view is valid or not, or whether yo believe it should be taught or proselytized or not is not material because unless there is an end of the world as viewed by one religion or other, unless we experience the rapture, religion is going to be a major factor in human societies. If this group wants to suggest that their religious texts supports conservation, and that might help save the rainforests, that is better than preaching their religious beliefs with the message of exploit away.

Ed

Did you see my post linking to a blog about the Church Forests in Ethiopia?
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “General Discussions on Religion”