Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Report

Posts related to Christianity and the forest and other environmental issues. This will include materials about all the different Christian sects and their perspectives.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Report

Postby edfrank » Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Report
By LAUREN MORELLO of ClimateWire
Published: May 6, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/cwire/2011/05/06/06climatewire-green-smoke-is-sighted-as-vatican-releases-g-91480.html

Climate change is shrinking the world's mountain glaciers, whose retreat creates new risks for humans and sensitive ecosystems alike, warns a new report commissioned by the Roman Catholic Church.

"The widespread loss of ice and snow in the world's mountain glaciers is some of the clearest evidence we have for global changes in the climate system," concludes the analysis, which will be delivered to Pope Benedict XVI. It was assembled by an international team of experts at the behest of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Vatican's non-denominational scientific arm.

The report warns of "serious and potentially irreversible impacts of global warming caused by the anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases, and by changes in forests, wetlands, grasslands, and other land uses," urging steep cuts in the world's output of heat-trapping pollutants.

Failure to do so will imperil vulnerable ecosystems and human societies that depend on glaciers for freshwater, it says, including a huge swath of Central Asia where mountain glaciers store water for millions of people. Inaction also leaves some communities vulnerable to flooding from unstable meltwater lakes that can burst without warning, causing outburst floods and mudslides.

"We are committed to ensuring that all inhabitants of this planet receive their daily bread, fresh air to breathe and clean water to drink as we are aware that, if we want justice and peace, we must protect the habitat that sustains us," the document continues. "The believers among us as God to grant us this wish."  (continued)

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby dbhguru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Ed,

I wonder how this message is going to be received in parts of our country, especially the South and Mid-west; indeed, in any region where fossil fuels drive the economy?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1062 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby edfrank » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 pm

This is an old message over two years old.  As far as I can tell it did not affect anybody in any way.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am

dbhguru wrote:Ed,

I wonder how this message is going to be received in parts of our country, especially the South and Mid-west; indeed, in any region where fossil fuels drive the economy?

Bob

nice to know that the Catholic Church is not anti science like most American fundy churches

the south and mid-west have relatively few Catholics

even most American Catholics don't pay much attention to what the Vatican says

given the fact that the majority of Americans actually don't believe in evolution, they're not likely to worry much about global warming, which of course they think is just another commy/liberal conspiracy
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby DougBidlack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm

The midwest has few Catholics?  That is news to me.  I'm from Michigan and there are more Catholics in that state than any other Religion.  I'm sure that is the case with most midwestern states.

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Been Liked: 186 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm

DougBidlack wrote:The midwest has few Catholics?  That is news to me.  I'm from Michigan and there are more Catholics in that state than any other Religion.  I'm sure that is the case with most midwestern states.

Doug

oh, I thought it was mostly Lutherans that we hear about on Prarie Home Companion...
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Green Smoke Is Sighted as Vatican Releases Glacier Repor

Postby DougBidlack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 am

Joe,

just to make sure I wasn't telling you something wrong I had to check things out.  Apparently all but three of the twelve midwestern states have more people that are Catholics than other religions.  The three states are North and South Dakota (more Lutherans) and Missouri (more Baptists).  Just to be clear, the other nine midwestern states are Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas.

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Been Liked: 186 times
Print view this post

Return to Christianity