The tallest tree of Europe?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby mdavie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:06 am

I'm curious about Georgia because there's an area of very high rainfall in Georgia and NE Turkey, with temperate rainforest as well as mountainous terrain. I don't know how much forests have been exploited there, but Georgia is supposed to have at least some old-growth preserved...
mdavie

Has Liked: 257 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby KoutaR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am

Maybe I was wrong about Georgia. The area of high precipitation seems to extend to Georgia, indeed. I have to study Georgia more. At least in Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park, Nordmann fir is said to grow, though I know nothing about its exploitation or "old-growthness".

http://www.dpa.gov.ge/index.php?site-id=5&page=1&id=220

Would you like to take part in a Georgia tall tree exploration?

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 233 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 am

Kouta Räsänen wrote:The tallest Scots pine in our list is currently 45.3 m (149 ft) tall tree growing in Białowieża Forest outside the national park boundaries and measured by Tomasz Niechoda, Leo Goudzwaard and Jeroen last April.

In Central European lowlands Scots pines also grow leaning (but fast). In Scandinavia and Central/southern European Mountains they are straight. An inferior genetic stock could well be the reason for stunted growth in the US, though I have not seen those forests. In Europe, pines of a wrong origin have been planted, too.

Kouta

Thank you for that information. That champion is one tall tree, would love to see it some day!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby Jeroen Philippona » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:08 am

Here is a photo by Tomasz Niechoda of the tallest Scots pine in Bialowieza: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/nl/pol/p ... park/3890/
and the page with some other trees in the Bialowieza forest outside the National Park: This pine is very thin, cbh is only 6.88 ft / 210 cm; near it are some pines  up to 44 m (144 ft) tall with cbh up to 340 cm / 11.15 ft.  

This is the Dutch language version, the English version of this page did not work today, I'll ask the webmaster, Tim Bekaert, to do something about it.
This pine is very thin, cbh is only 6.88 ft / 210 cm.
Here is also the page on some trees inside the Bialowieza National Park, here the English page is working: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/pol/p ... ialowieza/.
Till now I did not translate the text of the Dutch version into English, I hope to do that in the near future.
Tomasz Niechoda this summer found some new heightrecord trees of Norway spruce, European aspen, silver birch and small-leaved lime. The list is ordered at cbh, you can also make it ordered at height, by clicking above the table.  

Many more trees with photos can be seen at the website of Tomasz Niechoda: http://www.drzewa.puszcza-bialowieska.eu/. Best is to look at the Polish language part, because he did not update the English version the last two years.
You can search for the biggest or tallest trees of 11 species.

Jeroen

For this message the author Jeroen Philippona has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
Jeroen Philippona

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 105 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby mdavie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Kouta Räsänen wrote:Maybe I was wrong about Georgia. The area of high precipitation seems to extend to Georgia, indeed. I have to study Georgia more. At least in Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park, Nordmann fir is said to grow, though I know nothing about its exploitation or "old-growthness".

http://www.dpa.gov.ge/index.php?site-id=5&page=1&id=220

Would you like to take part in a Georgia tall tree exploration?

Kouta

I'd love to go to Georgia, or anywhere in the region for that matter. Most likely there's no way in hell I'd be able to pull it off, but I'd love to go.
mdavie

Has Liked: 257 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#16)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Jeroen Philippona wrote:Here is a photo by Tomasz Niechoda of the tallest Scots pine in Bialowieza: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/nl/pol/p ... park/3890/
and the page with some other trees in the Bialowieza forest outside the National Park: This pine is very thin, cbh is only 6.88 ft / 210 cm; near it are some pines  up to 44 m (144 ft) tall with cbh up to 340 cm / 11.15 ft.  

This is the Dutch language version, the English version of this page did not work today, I'll ask the webmaster, Tim Bekaert, to do something about it.
This pine is very thin, cbh is only 6.88 ft / 210 cm.
Here is also the page on some trees inside the Bialowieza National Park, here the English page is working: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/pol/p ... ialowieza/.
Till now I did not translate the text of the Dutch version into English, I hope to do that in the near future.
Tomasz Niechoda this summer found some new heightrecord trees of Norway spruce, European aspen, silver birch and small-leaved lime. The list is ordered at cbh, you can also make it ordered at height, by clicking above the table.  

Many more trees with photos can be seen at the website of Tomasz Niechoda: http://www.drzewa.puszcza-bialowieska.eu/. Best is to look at the Polish language part, because he did not update the English version the last two years.
You can search for the biggest or tallest trees of 11 species.

Jeroen

Thank you for this information!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#17)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby Steve Galehouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Kouta-

Are Eucalypts considered invasive in Europe? I recall seeing many, seemingly naturalized trees is Spain in the early 70's. Is Nordmann fir the tallest native tree?

Steve
every plant is native somewhere
Steve Galehouse

Has Liked: 184 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#18)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby KoutaR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:34 am

Steve,

Most of Europe is too cold for those eucalypts. I have never been to continental Spain and Portugal where there are eucalypt plantations, and I have not read about their invasiveness there. Perhaps Gus is still here and can answer this. I have seen Tasmanian blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus) plantations in Madeira that politically belongs to Portugal but geographically rather to Africa. There it appeared to be naturalized in disturbed sites.

Eucalypts are light-demanding trees, and the regeneration strategy of those large eucalyps in their home is to burn the whole forest by being extremely flammable and then seed the area from burned canopies (like many pine species). I guess eucalypts are able to invade clearings and openings in Spain/Portugal too. We have also seen some ferocious eucalypt forest fires in the region during the last years.

I believe Nordmann fir is the tallest European native tree. Even if Dinets' estimation was too high by 20 %, it would still be the tallest. But reliable measurements are lacking completely. That's why Caucasus would be so exciting place to measure trees. V. Dinets could be asked if he knows something about the possibility to find extremely tall Nordmann firs in Georgia.

Next summer - at last - I will make a Balkan tour and hope to measure a new Norway spruce record.

Kouta
KoutaR

Print view this post

#19)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby KoutaR » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:00 pm

A video of climbing the "Karri Knight" (possibly the tallest tree of Europe, Eucalyptus diversicolor in Portugal, 72 m):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9dxSTSXHI[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9dxSTSXHI

Kouta
KoutaR

Print view this post

#20)  Re: The tallest tree of Europe?

Postby Jeroen Philippona » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 am

Here is an excel file Kouta and I made with the tallest accurate measured specimen of 88 treespecies in Europe. Only laser or tape drop measured trees are included. Also the records of different countries are included. In black are native species, in red exotic species. This is not always strict, like with planted trees in the Netherlands wich are only native in a certain area of the country.

Tallest trees indeed are four species of Eucalyptus of over 211 feet, followed by nine conifer species and one other Eucalypt taller than 160 feet. Tallest native broadleaved trees are Quercus petraea and Fraxinus excelsior nearing 160 feet. Hybrid planes (Platanus x hispanica) have been measured up to 159.3 ft in England, but are reported to grow taller in SW France.  

The heights are in meters and in feet, the cbh only in centimeters.

Jeroen Philippona

List treeheights-Europe-country-records-laser09-02-2013.xls

(236 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Last edited by Jeroen Philippona on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Jeroen Philippona has received Likes :
Steve Galehouse
Jeroen Philippona

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 105 times
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Europe and the British Isles - Overviews