Re: ‘Outfitter Tree’ rises high in Hermosa Creek drainage

Posts and discussions related to NTS,ENTS, and WNTS members and organizations appearing in the news or popular media. Notes regarding papers, books, recordings, or articles release or published by NTS members.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

‘Outfitter Tree’ rises high in Hermosa Creek drainage

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:50 pm

NTS,

Another Ent in the news. Kudos to Mark Rouw!

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... s-tallest-

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Matt,

Mark has found or been taken to a number of fine trees in southwestern CO. Last year he shared with me a 146-foot white fir. It blew my mind.

As the interest builds toward the kick off of the conference and the word spreads, others may come forth with big trees for us to measure. But whether they be big or old, I don 't think anyone will be disappointed in the trees we will see.

Monica and I are presently in Crestone, CO taking some R&R. Tomorrow we'll return to Durango. But this morning, we took a hike on the Willow Creek Trail. There is a long swath of old growth narrowleaf cottonwood, ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, Rocky Mtn juniper, pinyon pine, and a lone Englemann spruce. Here is a look at an old aspen and narrowleaf cottonwood with Monica in between.
image.jpg
The trees aren't large because it is sandy and dry, but no shortage in old trees. Ages are up there. Also, the aspen in the images os a hair under 70 feet. Most aspens in the grove are between 50 and 65 feet.

Hopefully, Lea Sloan of AF, Peter and Patty Jenkins of TCI, Steve Colburn of LTI, and all attending Ents can meet during the lunch period on Aug 5th to discuss a cooperative venture. Lea is the Vice President of Communications for American Forests. She'll kick off the Aug 5th agenda. But the fact that she is attending the conference speaks well for the connection between AF and NTS.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Matt- I can't wait to get back out to Hermosa Creek. I fell in Love with it last year and we will be riding with Sandy to see this giant! Who knows what else is lurking in the Basin. Hermosa Creek area will be like Congaree National Park in South Carolina, everytime you go there you have a chance of breaking a record!! Bob- Niiiice!!! The excitement builds as the conference draws near. See you in a few more days!! Larry

Matt Markworth

Re: Re: ‘Outfitter Tree’ rises high in Hermosa Creek drainag

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:10 pm

NTS,

I was able to find a different window this year and measured this tree as 163', which is the height Mark got a couple years ago. Last year we got 161', but the window I used this year is much better.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Matt,

Congratulations. It goes to show how much persistence is called for to tie down the highest point of the crown. I look forward to a summary of all the numbers. Also glad Mark got the high point.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “NTS Members in the News”