Traversing Alaska for Big Trees

Posts and discussions related to NTS,ENTS, and WNTS members and organizations appearing in the news or popular media. Notes regarding papers, books, recordings, or articles release or published by NTS members.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 am

af.JPG
af.JPG (16.16 KiB) Viewed 724 times
by: Don Bertolette, Alaska Big Tree Coordinator

http://www.americanforests.org/our-prog ... th/alaska/
LACEY_AUG_07_005.jpg
LACEY_AUG_07_005.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 724 times
In the early 1990s when I moved to Alaska, there were several words and phrases that were explained to me that have withstood the test of time. Most visitors and/or first-timers to Alaska are known as a “cheechakos,” and a cheechako quickly learns that Things Are Different in Alaska (TADIA)...

...Though retired in Alaska, I wasn’t ready to withdraw from my life’s work and was very pleased when contacted by American Forests to take on the role of Alaska’s Big Tree Coordinator. One of the first things I learned through my Geographic Information System training was TADIA. Unlike the lower 48, Alaska’s USGS topographic maps aren’t to a 1:24,000 scale, but to a 1:63,360 scale — meaning Alaska’s a lot bigger than some people think. Despite the projections that most maps featuring the lower-48 states use, Alaska is not the little state you see in the corner of the weather page. If Alaska were overlaid onto the lower 48, three of Alaska’s four corners would extend beyond that of the contiguous U.S.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: Traversing Alaska for Big Trees

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

NTS,

YEEEHAAAA!!!! Hey, that's my Alaska buddy and the WNTS president, everybody.

Ed,

Thanks for the posting.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “NTS Members in the News”