Dive bomb bird in the hand

Posts and discussions related to NTS,ENTS, and WNTS members and organizations appearing in the news or popular media. Notes regarding papers, books, recordings, or articles release or published by NTS members.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Cop-hating pigeon tamed

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/dive ... IaXgLFAvoO
Manhattan’s own angry bird has been caged.

Fred the pigeon, whose hobby was dive-bombing cops and dropping unwanted gifts on tourists at the 9/11 Memorial, has been taken in by an opera singer who is teaching him to change his tune and fly right.

Click on image to see its original size

Jennifer Dudley, a mezzo-soprano who has worked at the Metropolitan and City operas and moonlights as a wildlife rehabilitator, grabbed Fred last week after realizing he was suffering from the early stages of a serious bird disease.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/dive ... z1hfC1jOdn
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Jenny

Re: Dive bomb bird in the hand

Post by Jenny » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:18 am

HA! Thanks for posting this Ed!

Freddy is doing well. VERY tame bird.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40 am

Jenny,

I have been following the saga on your Facebook page since the bird first appeared around the 15th.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 am

Just read the article. That is a riot! Do you still have him?

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 am

I am sharing rehab of Freddy with my friend and fellow fosterer Arina. We are still trying to correctly diagnose his illness, it is either trichomoniasis (protozoa that attack the esophagus) or a type of Avian Pox (bacterial) that attacks the mucous membranes. (Avian Pox usually affects the non-feathered parts of a bird, but this more serious type attacks inside the mouth. Oy vey...) But he is under the best care possible, a vet, a vet tech, and senior rehabber. And us. No slouches at this point, but always learning.

Freddy is soooo energetic though and hates being confines in any way, but we have to confine him for part of the time if other birds are out. Both diseases are highly contagious. He is just the greatest bird.

If I already posted this, I'm sorry....
DSC08337.JPG
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “NTS Members in the News”