Arboreadum: Welcome to the Trees Atlanta Community Blog

Posts and discussions related to NTS,ENTS, and WNTS members and organizations appearing in the news or popular media. Notes regarding papers, books, recordings, or articles release or published by NTS members.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm

http://treesatlanta.tumblr.com/

Click on image to see its original size
Big Tree Hunting

Guest Post by Eli Dickerson, Environmental Educator at Fernbank Museum

I’ve been helping Trees Atlanta update the Champion Tree list for over 2 years now. In that time I’ve measured close to 1,000 trees. Some would (accurately) say I’m obsessed. In fact, I don’t travel anywhere without my tape measure and other tree measuring tools.

Looking back on my numerous adventures in “big tree hunting” I can say that one of my earliest excursions stands out as one of my favorites.

It was spring time and fellow tree hunter Matt Gilbert and I were in a little known green space on Emory’s campus that a friend of a friend had told me about. He noted that there were rare plant species and huge trees. Also, judging from the map, it was a steep north facing cove that was prime real estate for big trees. I was right. (continued)
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “NTS Members in the News”