Amici del Castagno di Pratofosco

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Amici del Castagno di Pratofosco

Postby edfrank » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Here is part of an ongoing discussion in the Facebook Group "Amici del Castagno di Pratofosco."  [url]http://www.facebook.com/groups/175989911501/
[/url]

old_chestnut.jpg

Today, the old chestnut of Pratofosco has been cleaned and cared for. A small gesture of great symbolic value. Thanks to all the volunteers and the Association of Garfagnana chestnut growers who cooperated and participated actively.

Ettore Benedetti
Sabato 13 novembre eseguiti nuovi interventi al Castagno di Pratofosco: asportazione dei polloni alla base e pulizia intorno alla pianta. Al termine il gruppo di 12 persone si è ritrovato a San Pellegrino in Alpe, alla Locanda del Pellegrino, per il pranzo. Finito il pranzo, è stato consegnato a tutti coloro che si sono adoperati per il recupero della pianta il Diploma di "Amico del Castagno di Pratofosco" rilasciato da Comune di Castiglione di Garfagnana, Centro Commerciale Naturale di Castiglione di Garfagnana, Associazione Castanicoltori della Garfagnana e Associazione Nazionale Città del Castagno. I nomi sono stati annotati su un apposito registro. Altri diplomi verranno consegnati, in futuro, a coloro che hanno contribuito o contribuiranno nell'opera di valorizzazione della pianta.

[Saturday, November 13 new interventions performed at the Chestnut Pratofosco: removal of suckers at the base and clean around the plant. After the group of 12 people found himself in San Pellegrino in Alpe, the Locanda del Pellegrino for lunch. After dinner was given to all those who have worked for the recovery of the plant the Diploma of "Friend of the Chestnut Pratofosco" issued by the Municipality of Castiglione di Garfagnana Nature Mall of Castiglione di Garfagnana, Garfagnana and chestnut Association National Association of Chestnut City. The names were recorded on a special register. Other qualifications will be delivered in the future to those who have contributed or will contribute to enhance the work of the plant.]

Jill Butler I love the certificate Ettore and maybe we will do something like this for some ancient trees in the UK.

Jill Butler Our advice usually to owners of very old trees is not to cut the suckers at the base or down the trunk as these are so important as the tree ages to keep the sap rising around the trunk. Also our advice is not to clear away fallen leaves, twigs and seed cases as these are part of the natural 'fertiliser' for the tree. I wonder if you could explain the importance of what you are doing so we can compare best practice.

Ettore Benedetti The Chestnut is a tree of Pratofosco about 16 meters high, made in the column.  The shoots and basal suckers with greater vigor steal the food from the branches and the structure of the plant posed to greater heights.  These tend to decline and then to dry. For this reason the removal of basal shoots and buds combined with organic fertilization resulted in a vegetative growth even in the highest parts of the plant that were gradually drying up.   For cleaning you will then not removing leaves from the ground but the elimination of all weeds and competing for nutrients and light.

I am wondering if any of you have ideas or opinions on how to best preserve these really old trees?

Ed Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 697 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to Italy