Kelheim Forest, Germany

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#31)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby Joe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Kouta Räsänen wrote:Joe,

There are some old stumps although not visible in the photos. The area has been managed in the past but now it is protected as a nature reserve. Its extent is only 5.6 ha (14 acres).

Waldherr discusses in his paper how the reserve should be managed in the future. His opinion is the area should be conserved as a ash-oak stand and beech should be removed, for esthetic reasons. I hope they leave it untouched.

Kouta

Kouta, is there an English version of Waldherr's paper?
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 169 times
Print view this post

#32)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby KoutaR » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Joe,

I am afraid there is not. And the paper is difficult to translate with translator software because it does not allow copy its text (at least I cannot do that). So, you have to write the text to e.g. Google Translator. If you would like to know something specific, I can translate something, too.

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 223 times
Print view this post

#33)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby DougBidlack » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Kouta,

I'm very happy to see that you were able to visit this site!  Your better measurement and correct identification for the sessile oak is very cool.  I think the lime rich soil and the fact that this site is a lowland forest are two other reasons that English oak was suspected.  However, you mentioned the most important factor: this forest was planted by people!

The site B that you found is also especially exciting and you seem to think that even taller ashes may be found at this site.  That is very cool.  Imagine a 160'+ common/European ash!

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Been Liked: 185 times
Print view this post

#34)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby KoutaR » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Doug,

Sessile oak grows naturally in lowlands too, but not in floodplains.

This is a forest that is taller than one could think without measurements. Probably because the trees are so thin.

Today is Arbor Day in Germany.

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 223 times
Print view this post

#35)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby Lucas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:17 pm

DougBidlack wrote:After a couple kilometers the trail connected to a gravel road and we began to make our descent to the river.  Just as we reached the river their was an orchard on the downstream side of the road and the forest was on the upstream side.  To get to the forest I had to cross a remarkably deep ditch.  Ellen decided not to go in because she wanted me to hurry as she didn't want us to be too late.  The first nice tree I spotted was an oak.  Shooting straight up I got an amazing 142.5' (43.4m).  I couldn't believe it.  I was there to measure the tallest ash and I didn't even really think about the oaks at all.  I started running around like a little kid and yelling to Ellen that she just had to see this!

140 foot oaks!

Was this followed up?
Was this grove measured?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Been Liked: 120 times
Print view this post

#36)  Re: Kelheim Forest, Germany

Postby DougBidlack » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Lucas,

Kouta remeasured the site.  Just look back at his earlier post.

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Been Liked: 185 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Germany