Angel oak in the news

Discussions of the non-monetary values of nature. A majority of people think nature’s benefits for people are very important and most want the value of those benefits calculated in terms other than monetary.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Marcas

Angel oak in the news

Post by Marcas » Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Angel oak in the news
angel_oak.JPG
angel_oak.JPG (32.39 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Twenty-five men and women posed nude for a California photographer Saturday at Charleston's legendary Angel Oak. The group took the picture to make a statement to remind others to preserve nature.

Photographer Jack Gescheidt started the project six years ago when he had a personal experience that made him want to use his talents to bring attention to the environment.

"The Angel Oak, she's so beautiful. I don't want her livelihood to be threatened," Gescheidt said.

The group got in place in the tree then stripped down in front of other on-lookers. Charleston police arrived five minutes later, but no one was arrested.

"It wasn't my intention to upset anyone, just to make a photograph," Gescheidt said.

Gescheidt decided to come to Charleston when he heard a development was in the works on the property of Angel Oak. A developer is putting a two-acre buffer zone around the tree if his plans are approved.
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14652629
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

James Parton

Re: Angel oak in the news

Post by James Parton » Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am

I guess they are defined as " Naturists " as opposed to " Naturalists "! :-)
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Nudity at Angel Oak draws police

Post by edfrank » Tue May 24, 2011 9:48 am

Nudity at Angel Oak draws police
By Glenn Smith
gsmith@postandcourier.com
Sunday, May 15, 2011

Click on image to see its original size
An artistic mash-up of flesh and bark drew gasps and a chorus of police sirens Saturday at an impromptu photo shoot beneath the majestic canopy of the Angel Oak.

Some 25 people disrobed and posed around the wide, gnarled trunk of the ancient oak as California-based photographer Jack Gescheidt and a documentary film crew recorded the moment in celebration of the tree, which is rumored to be 1,400 years old.

The guerrilla photo shoot was designed to draw attention to the oak's grandeur and raise concerns about a developer's plans to build apartments and shops on a larger tract adjacent to the small Johns Island park where the tree lives.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Value of Nature: Relationships Between People and the Forest”