Mystical Empowerment

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Mystical Empowerment

Post by edfrank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 pm

ENTS,

A friend posted this link o Facebook and I thought I would post it here. It is a interesting page, but I am neither endorsing nor disparaging the philosophy presented.

Ed Frank

http://www.mysticalempowerment.com/healing_trees.htm
Mystical Empowerment

In the early years of mankind, trees were regarded as special, one reason was because they are big and majesty, as well as being home to animals and birds. Spiritual trees are thought to embody a spirit, and people would leave offerings to the spiritual presence that resided within the tree. In India, a local shrine would be constructed under trees. Different trees have different energies and different medicinal properties.

Below are just some of the healing trees and there magical properties associated with them.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Mystical Empowerment

Post by James Parton » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Ed,

I would be curious to see the rest of this.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 pm

James,

I'm sorry. I forgot to include the link in the original post. I have edited the original post to add the link, and here it is again.

http://www.mysticalempowerment.com/healing_trees.htm
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Ed, James-

I have no doubt forests, trees and other plants possess certain properties we can sense and appreciate, if not fully understand(So do lakes, hills, valleys, etc.).

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:01 am

Ed,

I love this! And trees really do have healing power. I especially notice it when entering a forest after a long hiatus.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Ed, Steve, James, et al,

Traditional Native American believe is that spirit resides in all things. To indigenous thought, rocks have spirits of sorts -- rock spirits. We of European heritage don't get into trouble so long as we don't humanize non-human organic forms and inorganic forms in thinking about spirit. We go astray when we humanize non-human spirit. I have psychic friends who do that and they are perpetually getting themselves into trouble with the mainstream.

However, western thought divorces itself from the ideas that: (1) all things share common energy connections, and (2) spirit is energy manifested in a non-physical form. This decoupling nourishes an exploitive mindset that justifies our need to march forth, conquer, and exploit. I don't know what the answer is. But then I don't know anyone who does when it comes to establishing the right balance between revering the natural versus using earthly resources for our short term convenience.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Bob,

I never could quite understand the concept of spirits in non-living objects such as rocks. Living objects such as trees have a life force or inner spirit. It is the soul or what leaves the body at death. But maybe the spirits that reside in rocks is part of the very spirit of Gaia herself and that would to some extent reside in everything of the natural world.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:25 pm

James, Bob, Ed, ENTS--

In that the 'inanimate" rocks and lakes give sustenance to beings that are obviously alive, they are alive by association in my opinion. All things are alive, in a greater or lesser degree depending on our ability to notice them, and they might differ in their ability to notice us as living.

Years ago, as a kid, I was waiting for a float-plane to pick me up from camp after 10 days in the Ontario "bush". While waiting for the plane, and gazing over the lake, I got what I could only describe as a religious experience----everything seemed right, and in focus. The camp director saw me sitting on the granite lake-shore, and asked if I was getting homesick. "No", I said, "I just want to stay here at the lake".

"That's what I meant", he said.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Steve, James, et al,

I never think of rocks as being alive in the sense of being conscious and self-aware. I think of them as representing a part of a vast energy field that includes cold and hot spots. We're one of the hot spots and possess a flexible kind of consciousness, which we use to separate ourselves from other forms of consciousness. The big plan if far beyond any human consciousness to comprehend, but I like thinking about it.

On his recent visit to Durango, Lee Frelich made an interesting point in a conversation we were having. He suggested that there was no inherent separation between science and religion and that scientists could consider themselves religious. By understanding ever more about how the universe is organized, a scientist gets closer to obtaining insights into the working of the Deity.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Forests Spritis and the Fey”