Newbie from Boston

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

shinrin_yoku

Newbie from Boston

Post by shinrin_yoku » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm excited to have discovered this community! I have no previous experience with tree measuring or forestry, a complete amateur, but I would not mind participating once I learn the ropes (pun intended). I live in the Boston area (close to Mt Auburn Cemetery, which is amazing), but take weekend trips throughout New England.
I've always loved trees, especially pines, but more on an aesthetic than emotional level. Several years ago, I have had an intense experience with the help of a certain substance, and since then, I was able to see trees as the magnificent living beings that they are. Since then, I've been seeking out old-growth, properly forest-bathing, and visiting particular trees as if they were friends of mine.
I'm well familiar with the "Grandmother" pine in Hapgood-Wright, and recently was bowled over by the Pine Loop and Rivulet trail at the Bryant.
I've driven past MTSF on the way to the Berkshires for years without knowing what treasures it holds, and this weekend, my wife and I are finally planning to check it out (at least the first exploratory jaunt). If any of you have a good location map of the old-growth there that is accessible without bushwhacking, I would greatly appreciate it, because the information I found so far is rather scant.
Thanks a lot in advance,
V

Larry Tucei

Re: Newbie from Boston

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Welcome aboard! I'm down on the Ms Gulf Coast but I'm sure some of our New England members will be glad to share their information. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi V,

One of the hats I wear is President of Mohawk Trail State Forest. I can give you lots of places. Also, I laid out the Pine Loop for the Trustees. You are in good hands. When do you plan to visit Mohawk? I might be able to give you a personal tour.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

shinrin_yoku

Post by shinrin_yoku » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 am

Thank you for your kind and generous offer, Bob! I will definitely be coming back to the Bryant estate, as I felt that on my first visit I barely scratched the surface. I haven't seen anything close to the old growth there outside of the West Coast and the Smokies.
The forecast for Saturday is not looking too good, so if we'll venture out this weekend, it may be Sunday. Both MTSF and MSF are at the top of my list now, hopefully I'll get to visit before it gets too snowy.
- V

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

V

I’ll be at MTSF on Sunday gathering data for a scientific paper that I have the privilege if co-authoring. Should you decide to come up, I coukd spend a little time with you and point out where you could see old growth.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

shinrin_yoku

Post by shinrin_yoku » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you Bob! There may actually be a small group coming up (5 people maximum in total, including myself), so if that's a bit too distracting, we could meet another time. I drive out to the North Adams area fairly often, even if just for a day. If you could point me to a particularly helpful page or document, I would be grateful as well.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm

V

A small group is fine. I can direct you to a number of old growth sites. My Sierra Club Guide to Ancient Forests of the Northeast has many. If I can remember, I'll bring a book on Sunday and give it to you if you make it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

shinrin_yoku

Post by shinrin_yoku » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:04 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks a lot again, I PM-ed you. I actually have a copy of the book (that's how I learned about Bryant and some other locations), but I'm more of a visual person and read maps better than descriptions.
V

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”