Greetings from Edwards NY

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wmhill

Greetings from Edwards NY

Post by wmhill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:25 am

Hello, I'm William Hill from Edwards NY. That's in St.Lawrence county on the western edge of the Adirondack park. I have always been among the trees in some fashion. As a youth i hunted, fished, trapped and rambled through the would from an early age. I took a two year vocational forestry (BOCES), and a certificate environmental conservation program at CCFL in Canandaigua NY . I was a logger professionally for a good number of years, and still dabble in that on occasion. My latest hobby/passion is the website that I operate- "Hiking the trail to yesterday". This focuses on hiking to historically significant locations here in the north country. I found this site researching the Big Pine Trail in Wanakena NY. I will leave a link below to my site, should you care to visit. Anyways in a nutshell- that's me.
https://hikingthetrailtoyesterday.wordpress.com/
A wonderful burl at John Brown's farm- North Elba
A wonderful burl at John Brown's farm- North Elba

ElijahW

Re: Greetings from Edwards NY

Post by ElijahW » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 am

Welcome, William.

I was thinking yesterday that I should email you the results of the volume modeling I did with the Big Pine. I guess I don’t have to now. Notwithstanding one of the Paul Smiths pines, this tree is probably the largest one of its kind in the state.

I read several of your articles on interesting North Country sites and really enjoyed them. I learned quite a bit. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

wmhill

Post by wmhill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed my stuff, and thanks again for the help.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 am

Glad go hear from another NY state resident on the boards! I've been meaning to report on some measuring and documenting I did at Indian Creek Nature Center near Renssaeler Falls. Really neat little site with old bur oaks- have you been there?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:57 am

William,

Welcome aboard. Although I live in western Massachusetts, I visit NY state often and consider myself one of those folks who love New York. We hope you will post often here, sharing your experiences.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:48 am

wmhill wrote:I took a two year vocational forestry (BOCES), and a certificate environmental conservation program at CCFL in Canandaigua NY.
I grew up in Canandaigua! My mom got her associates degree from CCFL. I note you use the old acronym, CCFL (Community College of the Finger Lakes), and not their new one, FLCC (Finger Lakes Community College). Which probably isn't all that new anymore actually. So I guess you dated yourself a little. Ha ha. I've been on that campus any number of times over the years for a wide variety of reasons.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

wmhill

Post by wmhill » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Erik Danielsen wrote:Glad go hear from another NY state resident on the boards! I've been meaning to report on some measuring and documenting I did at Indian Creek Nature Center near Renssaeler Falls. Really neat little site with old bur oaks- have you been there?

I have been there on a few field trips with school kids (I drive school bus), but never got to deep into the woods.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”