Hello from West Virginia

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hello from West Virginia

Postby Reywas » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:08 am

Hello everyone!
I'm Sawyer, an 18 year old kid from Virginia who loves trees. Right now I'm living in West Virginia, and I've decided it'd be great to get to know other dendrophiles!
A few weeks back, my dad, sister, and I were biking up the c&o canal between Paw Paw, WV and Cumberland, Ohio. There were a lot of massive trees there, and I'd had the foresight to bring my tape measure. Along the way, it seemed that the biggest trees were all about the same size-eastern cottonwoods and sycamores all about 13 feet cbh shooting up high into the sky. There was one campsite, turns out it is visible from the highway, that was an open field with maybe seven of these big old sycamores and a couple cottonwoods for good measure. I also noticed quite a few mature silver maples, nothing too massive, closer to the Paw Paw end of our route. However, the highlight of the trip for me was an ancient white oak I measured at 18'3'' cbh! Admittedly it was on a hill but when I measured based on the top it was still 17'11''. It was great imagining how this oak might've been around when the canal was being dug, maybe even when George Washington was surveying the land two hundred years ago. I took a couple of pictures, admittedly not great (taken from my phone as my family rode on impatiently), but I'll try to upload them here.
Trees are reflections of what we see in ourselves. Our core values can be found in the trees we love. I love White Oaks for
their spreading form and enduring strength, and Ginkgos for their survival against all odds as remnants of a forsaken order.
~Sawyer~

For this message the author Reywas has received Likes :
jamesrobertsmith
Reywas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hello from West Virginia

Postby Reywas » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 am

And It'd be great to know if anyone else has been along the C&O Canal and noticed this big old tree! Any tips on good tree spots in the area would be greatly appreciated.
Trees are reflections of what we see in ourselves. Our core values can be found in the trees we love. I love White Oaks for
their spreading form and enduring strength, and Ginkgos for their survival against all odds as remnants of a forsaken order.
~Sawyer~
Reywas

Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hello from West Virginia

Postby dbhguru » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Reywas,

Welcome aboard. You're among friends. Will Blozan has lots of knowledge about the woods along the C&O canal. Maybe he'll give you some pointers. BTW,  by what name should we address you?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1068 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Hello from West Virginia

Postby Reywas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Hey Bob!
This trip was just the northern section, but last summer my dad and I rode the canal all the way down to DC. It'd be great to get some info on the trees along the route! I'll just go by Sawyer, thanks for asking.
Sawyer
~Sawyer~
Reywas

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Hello from West Virginia

Postby dbhguru » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 am

Sawyer,

Another Ent that comes to mind who may be able to help is Darian Copiz from Maryland. Between them, I think that Will and Darian have quite a few tree measurements from along the Canal.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1068 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Hello from West Virginia

Postby Larry Tucei » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:41 am

Sawyer-   Glad to have you and what a beautiful White Oak! Always has been one of my favorite Oaks.  Post some more stuff.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 668 times
Has Been Liked: 575 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself