Hello from Cambridge

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hello from Cambridge

Postby JQM-Helios » Wed May 24, 2017 11:42 am

Greetings, I am Jake Mason from Cambridge, England. My interest in trees started a few months ago when I stumbled across information about the redwood colossuses. Since then I have managed to visit my area of choice once and locate Hyperion. My current top interest is in how trees can grow so tall without water supply failing, and simply WHAT they are, especially trees including all coast redwoods, all giant sequoias, all douglas firs, all giant mountain-ashes and some notable either other species or cut-down individuals including the Ferguson tree, the Nooksack giant, "Patriarch" bristlecone pine. Trees are a wonderful world, a world within their own. Nowadays, I am hoping to go down there more often so I can locate trees such as Helios. There is an amusing fact that I smashed my camera to pieces en route to Hyperion, 3 days before leaving. I am grateful for being part of this wonderful organisation. Good luck!
Jake

For this message the author JQM-Helios has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
JQM-Helios

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hello from Cambridge

Postby bbeduhn » Thu May 25, 2017 10:01 am

Welcome, Jake! You certainly have no qualms about being adventurous. There have been multiple discussions about how trees get water to the tops of trees. It's over my head, literally, but others may chime in on the issue.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1112 times
Has Been Liked: 474 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hello from Cambridge

Postby pattyjenkins1 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Jake,
On the question of "how big trees can grow so tall without the water supply failing": I have a powerpoint presentation done by Cameron Williams, a PhD candidate at Berkeley who studies water transport in the BIG trees. Cam gave this interesting talk at an annual gathering of tree climbers we hosted in 2013. The BBS software won't allow me to upload it here, but if you (or anyone else) wants to see it, I'll be happy to email it--just PM me. The presentation doesn't have notes and is less effective without the talk, but it's a start. If you google Cameron Williams, there may be articles on this topic written by him.

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees
pattyjenkins1

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself