I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby John Harvey » Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 pm

They will need a big money donor to complete the boardwalk. I personally would like to see a path with fences more like they have in Big Basin with small, discreet platforms at the bases of the trees.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 346 times
Has Been Liked: 432 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby longshadow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:22 pm

What a wonderful video! Thank you. I've admired Michael's artistry for years.

Last month my twin brother, Darvel and I did a lot of bushwhacking and hiking in the Olympic Rainforest, documenting many of the world's largest Douglas firs (including Tichipawa and Rex), western redcedar and Sitka spruce. The smaller spruce (below) was one of the most interesting. It grew over a huge nurse log, which has long since rotted away. A new trunk formed beneath the tree while its roots provided support. The oversized former root on the left is actually larger than the more recent trunk. The second shot shows a massive 15-foot-thick cedar near Wright Canyon. It has a stove-pipe bole with a broad, single crown at least 200 feet high.
Darryl
Attachments
Sitka spruce deformed by nurse log 800w.jpg
Wright Canyon road cedar 600w.jpg
longshadow

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 10 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself