Introduction of John Burns

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Introduction of John Burns

Postby Burnsie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Folks,

Just joined the group recently as I'm, out exploring my area in western Mass (Cummington). for all sorts of great trees and places. I have a private environmental consulting firm - Burns Environmental - specializing in rare plant studies. I certainly do various permitting to stay alive, but am shifting towards more ecological studies in the area. I also teach in the Biology Department of Westfield State Univerisity.

There are wonderful rich forests in the area, large river floodplains, and general healthy natural communities. Being close to NY, and having an interesting geologic history, the area offers a lot of diversity of both trees and communities. I travel throughout New England quite a bit as well so encounter many of the great places New England has to offer.

I also work a lot with Trout Unlimited. I'm President of the Taconic Chapter and Vice-Chair of Env. Affairs for the MA-RI Council.

I look forward to see what this community has to offer and how I can contribute.

I also look forward to meeting many of you.

Burnsie
Burnsie

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Introduction of John Burns

Postby Joe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 pm

John, welcome to the forum. You're right that western Mass. has a lot of great outdoor sites. I've been a forestry consultant in the same area since '73 and have worked in very town in the Berkshires and for the past decade in Franklin County. Are you familiar with the Mohawk Trail State Forest? It has hundreds of acres of old growth forest and the tallest tree in New England. Many posts in this forum are about that park. There are many other, smaller pockets of old growth in the area, most have been discussed in the forum and many of the trees in those forests have been measured by the members of this forum.

You mentioned the geologic history of the area- a big interest of mine- I have a collection of geology books and maps of the area. The geology is far more complex that it appears since the mountains are mostly worn down but the complexity equals or exceeds that of just about anywhere on this planet. If you don't have it- be sure to order a copy of Roadside Geology of Massachusetts by the state geologist- James W. Skehan. it's mind blowing!

MA Audubon has a number of fine properties- my favorite is Pleasant Valley Sanctuary in Lenox. No old growth- but it's a peaceful, pleasant place for a hike with a trail to the top of Lenox Mountain.

The state owns many thousands of acres in the state forests. Unfortunately, they overdid the timber harvesting in the last decade- with huge clearcuts. But, that's another, long story. Much of the state forest land is still very wild if you get away from the roads.

Joe
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Introduction of John Burns

Postby dbhguru » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:26 pm

John,

Welcome aboard. I live in Florence, MA and am one of the founding members of the Native Tree Society. I have tons of data on important trees; large and/or old gathered from the Berkshire sites. We should chat about what we have in the way of data that might be of value to you. The site is endlessly deep and since we post in freeform format, assembling data on a topic is often a mammoth challenge. In terms of data on western Mass sites, we have a lot on the following locations:

1. Mohawk Trail State Forest
2. Monroe State Forest
3. Kenneth M. Dubuque State Forest
4. Mount Greylock State Reservation
5. Mount Washington State Forest
6. Mount Everett State Reservation
7. Bashbish Falls State Park
8. Bryant Homestead
9. Ice Glen, Stockbridge
10. Bartholomew Cobble
12. U.S. Fish Hatchery, Monterey
13. Monument Mountain, Great Barrington
14. Tanglewood, Lenox
15. Graves Farm Williamsburg
16. Burbank Park, Pittsfield
17. Windsor State Forest
18. Catamount State Forest
19. Pittsfield State Forest
20. Conway

We have small amounts of data on lots of other places. many private that we don't share. We also have lots of data on tree sites in the Connecticut River corridor. East of Quabbin Reservoir, our site data is much thinner, but now with Jared Lockwood on the job, that is changing.

As you would gather from a perusal of the NTS BBS and accompanying website, we ARE the organization that develops better tree measurement methods. Lots to talk about. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1064 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Introduction of John Burns

Postby mdvaden » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello John ...

The forum pace here is very slow compared to some, but there is a faithful bunch of people who chime in and network. Enjoy. And on that note, enjoy a short

"Hello John"  >>

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com
mdvaden

Has Liked: 7 times
Has Been Liked: 223 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Introduction of John Burns

Postby Burnsie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks for the quick hellos. I'll have to check my settings as I didn't get an email when these responses were posted.

I haven't had a chance to go through the site to see what kinds of discussions and resources are here, but it's like exploring a forest for the first time.

I have explored pretty significantly many of the areas that you both have referred to. As much as I love winter, I really love seeing spring come around as well.

I'll be in touch as I explore the site. It's hard to remember to come back to the site but I will eventually. I will also look to change my settings.

Thanks for the welcome.

John
Burnsie

Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Introduction of John Burns

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 am

John, you should have gotten emails each time somebody responds to a thread that you have posted to. Perhaps the BBS doesn't have your correct email address or maybe you have a spam filter set up which needs to allow emails from this site.
Joe
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself