Hidden Life of Trees

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Hidden Life of Trees

Postby Lucas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:04 pm

BOinBoston wrote:I've just ordered another book "Lab Girl". My understanding is that it has a couple themes. One is talking about seed and plant survival, and as I read one chapter on line, author seems to marvel how plants survive. She has a compelling way of writing about plants/trees in general. The other theme is the under appreciation of woman in research environments. Also interested to know what hows thought about this book

I read it.The tree bits were good but a small part of the book. Mostly about her.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 121 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Hidden Life of Trees

Postby pattyjenkins1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:12 am

Hi BOinBoston,

In response to your interest in "Lab Girl": I am about to finish it. All the positive things you've read about it are true. It's the first book in ages that I've read chapters aloud to my arborist husband because Jahren's way of describing seed generation and growth is just magical. Her descriptions of what it takes to become and be a research scientist are equally compelling; they bring to mind the travails of Margaret ("CanopyMeg") Lowman, the "mother of canopy research." (If you haven't read Lowman's books about raising children in the treetops, I'd strongly suggest them). Other suggestions are books by Joan Maloof': "Teaching the Trees" and her new one, "Nature's Temples" (illustrated by Andrew Joslin). Both Joan and Andrew are NTS members and occasional posters on these Forums.

Happy reading!
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees
pattyjenkins1

Has Liked: 210 times
Has Been Liked: 57 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Hidden Life of Trees/Lab Girl

Postby BOinBoston » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks Patty for the good suggestions for other reads. I'm on a roll about the inner life of trees, plants or other living things that don't communicate/live in the same style as humans. I'm going to check out your organization--I'm fascinated with tree climbing--my BF's nephew climbs the redwoods and sleeps up there too. He and others were collecting the pine cone seeds (<--I think I have that right?) for research.
BOinBoston

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself