American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Postby miwinski » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:58 pm

I am wondering if anyone has any information about locations on public or private land that features American Chestnut remains, stumps, snags, downed logs? I am working on an art project featuring American Chestnuts and was wondering about sites I could visit.  Anyone have any places I could start.  I have been to Ramseys Cascade Trail in TN in the Smokey Mountains. Any other sites? Thanks Pictures and maps would be helpful as well as contact info for private land owners who might be willing to allow me to see the sites on their property.
miwinski

Has Liked: 7 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Blog: View Blog (1)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Postby bbeduhn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 pm

I know of an outstanding one that I will post soon but it is off limits. Cataloochee, in the Smokies, has some really nice ones. Somewhere on Caldwell Fork Trail I saw several impressive ones. I believe there was a post in the last couple of years on the board about chestnut snags. Try searching for it by keyword.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1074 times
Has Been Liked: 462 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: American Chestnut stumps and snags in NC?

Postby Bosque » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I bet you know about the one in Big Ivy at the wide pull-off on the right going up the F.S. road.  I was sad but not surprised to see this relatively tall young tree dead this month.

Carol
Bosque

Has Liked: 123 times
Has Been Liked: 29 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself