Hello from NH

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hello from NH

Postby rumney » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 am

Hi All,  I have been getting out into some areas in NH, that are off the beaten path, and finding some very nice trees, imo.  I need to get some good pictures of these. I also need to get familiar with the correct measurement procedures.  But just to give an example of what I found,   By measuring with my 6' arm span, a 17 foot circumference  , what I think is a Red oak, about 100 yds down from a high ridge line.  There are many others in this pretty much un travelled valley.
As I am exploring,  I am seeing many old growth trees that are in very good to excellent condition.    Please reply with any information that might help,  so I do not need to do a second trip,  thus enabling more tree finds.    Thank you
rumney

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hello from NH

Postby Matt Markworth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Welcome!

As a start, use a tape measure at 4.5' above midslope (midslope definition is in the American Forests Tree Measurement handbook) and take a circumference measurement.

Also, posting photos of various sides of the trunk is helpful. We can also help with tree identification with up close photos of leaves, bark, acorns, etc.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1064 times
Has Been Liked: 814 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hello from NH

Postby ryandallas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Rumney. Please post some photos. A 17' CBH forest-grown red oak is pretty rare! Or at least I haven't found anything that big down here in Connecticut. I did measure a 15'10" red oak, but it was an old farm tree surrounded by vigorous second growth.
ryandallas

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 14 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself