Greetings from Wisconsin

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby wisconsitom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:02 am

Hello everybody.  Long-time horticulturist, forester, lover of all that is green.  Job responsibilities are evenly split between ornamental horticulture and native vegetation, the former as designer, installer and maintenance director of my city's display beds and planters, etc. and the latter as a part of this city's stormwater management initiative.  I love the split.  It keeps my toes in both pools of water.  In my own time, growing trees is what I like and care about.  Currently growing trees for timber at our tree farm in northern Wisconsin.  Looking to possibly start a southern branch in, say.........Costa Rica!  Will see how that ends up.
Last edited by wisconsitom on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wisconsitom

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 17 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby bbeduhn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 am

Bart Bouricius  is a member who spends time in Central America and Jess and Will went on an expedition there with him last year.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1112 times
Has Been Liked: 474 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby Lucas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:21 pm

wisconsitom wrote:Hello everybody.  Long-time horticulturist, forester, lover of all that is green.  Job responsibilities are evenly split between ornamental horticulture and native vegetation, the former as designer, installer and maintenance director of my city's display beds and planters, etc. and the latter as a part of this city's stormwater management initiative.  I love the split.  If keeps my toes in both pools of water.  In my own time, growing trees is what I like and care about.  Currently growing trees for timber at out tree farm in northern Wisconsin.  Looking to possibly start a southern branch in, say.........Costa Rica!  Will see how that ends up.

It seems you are my first recruit poached off of

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussion ... forum-help

I hope you like it here.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Been Liked: 125 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby dbhguru » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Tom (I think),

Welcome aboard. If you have a little time and scan through the long list of topics, I think you'll find a lot to like. If you have an interest in tree measuring, you've hit the jackpot. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby Bart Bouricius » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Contact me privately and and we can talk about Costa Rica where my residency was just approved.  I have lived here moste of the year for 3 years.   I know the country, the trees, and the parks.  I have a flat rate Skype account, so I can contact you by cell, land line or computer.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 298 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Postby wisconsitom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks all, for the warm welcome.  I can tell you already that this place suits me.  I'm not especially about measurement per se but I see the need for verification of claims made, and just the general little spring it puts in your step to read about enormous trees!  And yes Luke, that Houzz post is what got me here.  I still like participating there, but somehow, I just needed more than maybe advising somebody on whether or not to remove a branch that is hanging over their clothesline, lol!  More in-depth, about trees themselves, not so much as "amenities" in people's yards, is what brought me here.

Bart, I've indeed been reading  many of your CR and Panama accounts.  Great stuff, just amazing.  I will indeed hit you up private, as soon as I figure out how that works here.  Thanks much.
wisconsitom

Has Been Liked: 17 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself