Hello from the Netherlands

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hello from the Netherlands

Postby wiloost » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands and since a few years I'm active in searching, registering, meauring monumental trees and making pictures of them - or as you say champion trees- . I didn't have any education in Botanics or whatever nature science. I am a sociologist with lots of experience in managing urban renewal projects from out the municipality. Since my retirement I travel all over the world to visit trees. I've been in China, Nepal, Mexico, lots of European countries, Northern Africa aso. In the USA I visited California, Arizona Utah. I have posted a lot of my tree-findings on http://www.monumentaltrees.com . This link leads you to my posts:  http://www.monumentaltrees.com/nl/gebruikers/wiloost/

In February I will visit Florida and if the weather, my energy and my wife allow me, I will go as far as Charleston in the North and New Orleans in the South West. I will visit this site occasionally during this period. Nice to meet you

Wim

For this message the author wiloost has received Likes :
Will Blozan
wiloost

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 3 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Wim-   Good to have you onboard. That webpage is loaded with some outstanding tree specimens.  I'm in southern Ms. If I can help you with anything while your in this area please let me know. Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes :
wiloost
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 587 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby John Harvey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Wim,
Welcome. I also post to that site under JohnnyDJersey or John Harvey. It has been a while though. Great photos btw.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

For this message the author John Harvey has received Likes :
wiloost
John Harvey

Has Liked: 351 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby wiloost » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Hi Wim-   Good to have you onboard. That webpage is loaded with some outstanding tree specimens.  I'm in southern Ms. If I can help you with anything while your in this area please let me know. Larry

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that I only now made some tine available to read the messages. I had a good journey and have seen a lot of interesting trees. I have processed some of my findings on http://www.monumentaltrees.com. Once I'm home I will process my findings on Le Vacherie. Marvellous place. I think I have been able to locate the national champion Southern Magnolia in Torreya state park. My last targets are the Cellon Oak park and the Bald Cypresses in Suwanee River in Live Oak/Jasper. Perhaps I will meet you the next time I visit the USA.

I still have one question. I have visited your champion or president live oak. Apparently it is a muklti-stemmed oak. Do americans bother less with one or multi-stemmed trees? Or isn't this once multi-stemmed?

Kind regards

Wim
wiloost

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 3 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Larry Tucei » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Wim-   The American Forest Champion Tree Listing has the National Champion Southern Magnolia listed at https://www.americanforests.org/bigtree ... diflora-3/.   NTS members are trying to get a change with AF on Multi-Stemmed trees.  Trees that have Multi-Trunks or Coppice should not be counted the same as a single Trunk tree. The Champion Tree Program at AF is undergoing many changes thanks to several people and this is one thing that come up often.  Hope I answered you question. Look forward to your postings from your US trip.  BTW I looked at some of you Florida stuff- impressive! I have not been over to measure many of the Florida Live Oaks you did. I've known about them for years just hadn't made the time to visit them.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 587 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself