Greetings from Tennessee!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Greetings from Tennessee!

Postby AaronMcGarity » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:21 am

My name is Aaron and I'm a climbing arborist in Nashville, TN with a passion for trees. I find myself around trees and in trees everyday and walking in the forest, gazing up in my free time. I am also beginning to facilitate recreational tree climbing. I love big trees, and it seems everyone here does too! Thanks to Patty Jenkins for pointing me in the direction of the Native Tree Society. Can't wait to get involved. Let me know if anybody is located near me!

-Aaron

For this message the author AaronMcGarity has received Likes - 6:
Erik Danielsen, John Harvey, Matt Markworth, mdavie, pattyjenkins1, Will Blozan
AaronMcGarity

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 8 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Greetings from Tennessee!

Postby Matt Markworth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Aaron,

It's very nice to have you aboard. It sounds like we have a common friend in Patty! I've been to Atlanta a couple times and learned recreational tree climbing from Peter Jenkins and instructor-in-training Erika Muñoz this past summer.

I've spent time in the Bluegrass Region of KY and I've heard that the Nashville Basin is similar. The ancient open-grown trees I've seen in the Bluegrass (bur oak, chinkapin oak, Shumard oak, blue ash, shellbark hickory) are amazing. Do you see a lot of those same species down there?

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 828 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Greetings from Tennessee!

Postby AaronMcGarity » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm

We have a few really nice bur oaks here. Chinkapin oaks seem to be more common, and I've seen some hefty ones for sure! There are also a good number of shellbark hickories (we call them shagbark). I couldn't tell you about the other too. I haven't seen any that I know of.

For this message the author AaronMcGarity has received Likes :
Matt Markworth
AaronMcGarity

Has Been Liked: 8 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Greetings from Tennessee!

Postby mdavie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Nashville is my home town; I went briefly for thanksgiving, and went walking with friends in a patch of Percy Warner that I've got to get back into and measure!Very tall for middle TN.
There are shagbarks and shellbarks in Nashville, they're two different (but similar) species. Where are the biggest bur or chinkapin oaks that you've seen?
mdavie

Has Liked: 250 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Greetings from Tennessee!

Postby Laurina » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:35 pm

HI There,
I'm glad to hear that you are interested in recreational tree climbing. I'm just starting and looking for opportunities in middle Tennessee. I'm just north of you in Clarksville.
Laurina

For this message the author Laurina has received Likes :
pattyjenkins1
Laurina

Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself